S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Busy Busy Busy! No time for the weary!

If you haven't done so yet please go to the Photo Gallery and look down through the subfolders as follows Our House at 140 Water Street - In Progress - Kitchen Renovations, and you can see what we are doing on the kitchen.

Truth be told, with our hectic social schedule plus my after work meetings the work done has been limited almost exclusively to Barb's efforts. I am expecting to get stuck in again tomorrow evening and over the weekend. The plan is to have the floor completely done and the walls back together by Monday so we can take delivery of the cabinets and the carpenter can begin the install. I'd like to get as much done as possible before Barb heads off for her surgery on the 29th which is two weeks away from yesterday.

I have ordered some 2" thick lumber from a local sawmill and that will be the critical path to completion as they have selected the tree and will be cutting and milling it to specs. As we will be using it right away we will have to seal the wood quickly so it won't begin to dry out unevenly and warp. In fact, the ideal situation will be to torgue it down to the cabinets to get it to hold its shape. We are looking at 32" wide counters that are 2" thick with weatherproof epoxy at the corners and where the edges abut each other. In the end we will have 20'x32" of chopping board with a 90 degree bend in the middle!

For a while there the other night we thought that we might have gotten our wish for a house ghost which our place has been sadly lacking. For a place that is 140+ years old you'd think that there would be something that would have happened that would have produced a restless spirit of some sort, but no. Nothing. Nyada. Ziltch. Until last night. At about 2 in the morning Barb and I were both startled awake with a loud rattle and a bang followed by another rattle. We lay away for a while looking at each other and whispering, what was that? did you hear it too? are you going to get up to check? the last being delivered to me from herself just before I fell back to sleep again. We were quite excited when at first we couldn't find anything that would have made the sound naturally. At last, the spirit in the house was making itself manifest. But then Barb found the passageway covering had dislodged and fallen into the back stairway making the noise. Drat! How disappointing! So, our house is still in need of a resident ghost. Put out the word would you all. No pay but nice surroundings and a family who will appreciate them.

Oh, one more thing. I got a note from RNSYS, our club in Halifax. Apparently they have added some security that requires a pass card to get in the gate. I have to check to ensure that they have our new address out here so they can get our card to the right place.

Comments