S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

First trip downtown

Second day on our road trip and we have gotten as far as Savanah in accordance with plans. This business of staying in cut rate motels to save money does just that, save money if you don't want to sleep in the vehicle or such but perhaps I am getting old or something. It's just that aging joints with paint peeling off the walls are a considerable sacrifice for us to make to be able to get into a dog friendly place that doesn't cost in excess of $150. It would be nice to have more than two towels for the room, for example. It would be wonderful if the remote for the TV worked. You know, little Economy things like that. They also obviously don't keep an eye on the place too closely as we have picked a couple of fleas off Peri so far. He may have picked them up in the last hotel and brought them here with him or he may even have gotten them in Indiantown. He is on meds for them so they won't proliferate but it does show why a lot of hotels will not allow animals in the place.

The drive began at 0530 and we arrived at about 1000 and that's with several stops including a stop at Waffle House for breakfast as we didn't want to hang around to wait for them to start their free breakfast; a stop at a Starbucks for coffee; and a final pause for the Admiral to ease springs, and finally we were there. Whew. Regardless of the condition of the room it is nice to be here.

We had about one hour of R and R and then drive the ten minutes into downtown Savanah, the reason that we're here. What a neat place! All sorts of historic preservation and restoration. Numerous excellent restaurants and cafes, arts centres and theatres. I wish I was wealthy and could afford to take a room downtown so we could really enjoy the city. We went on one of four walking tours which includes a railway museum which was really interesting. The downtown region is all made up of historic buildings and homes. Even in the poorer areas of town you can see the antebellum architecture. Remarkable!



Barb has been getting some excellent photos of some of the indigenous plants. Some of them are truly professional quality.

Tomorrow we will be heading back into town for the other three walking tours around the rest of the downtown area. I'll let you know how that went.

Comments