S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another short step

Well! You live and learn, don't you? After less than four hours on the road we find ourselves in the outskirts of Charlotte NC in a hotel called Country Inns and Suites which is the same price as the other two dives that we have been in and significant orders of magnitude of an improvement over them. Everything is clean. Everything works. The pool is operational. The other folks staying here aren't sketchy. The walls appear to be soundproof. I'm not constantly scratching either for real or because I think I should be. In short, a much better deal and far more within my comfort zone let alone the Admiral's. Even Peri approves.

The only thing about this sort of traveling is that, with the exception of the time that we spent in Savanah, the travel days are short and yet there isn't enough time to actually poke about in the various communities that we stop in. So we end up spending most of the time in the hotels. Hardly exciting and most definitely not educational. But it is relaxing and not so much of an exhausting drive.

We are trying to plan our trip for the next part of our journey, the part after our visit with friends Peter and Lynn. We had thought about making a detour through Ottawa, and my normal driving modus operandi would be to just go and catch cat naps every twelve hours, but then with the snow accumulation and all we thought that it would be be better to head straight on home and to break the trip up into 8 hour segments to ensure that I don't get too tired. All we need with a rental vehicle is to have an accident.

Short post today and I am looking at signing off until next fall except, perhaps, for the occasional post to talk about our summer projects.

Comments