S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Post from Barb for May 3&4

Time for some ramblings again from Barb

I am feeling just a tiny bit bad this Wednesday AM as I am doing the laundry and waiting for the cycle to finish while sitting in the shady screened-in room next to the Marina kitchen while Mike is in the heat rolling the noxious-smelling bottom paint onto Nelleke's hull. I am trying to get acclimatized and today have advanced from sitting in the AC'ed kitchen to sitting in the un-AC'ed porch. It is extra humid today due to the evaporation of the standing water from the deluge yesterday afternoon and evening. The locals and the internet weather all say that we can expect the same kind of weather for many weeks to come and to expect thunder and lightening as well. This may affect our launch on Friday as understandably the travel lift will not be operated when the weather is foul - it is what it is - we are retired and not on a schedule.

All of this mindless work that I have been doing (cleaning, tidying, laundry) has led to time for a certain amount of introspection. Couple that with my reading of "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger - also wrote "The Time Traveller's Wife" - and my mind has been indeed working in mysterious ways. The only times I really need to use my brain are when I am "tool-passing'" and anticipating what El Capitan might need next, and actively listening when he is talking through some problem or other like when hooking up the new batteries and, oh yah, when I am cleaning on the top sides I have to not back up too far or lose my balance and pitch off the boat - that would spoil a sunny day as we are up on the hard and the landing would be an ugly one as opposed to a splash in the water - come to think of it a splash in the water wouldn't be great either as there are some resident alligators....

One of the main characters in the book I mentioned passes away in the first chapter. I am about 156 pages in and this character, now dead remember, has not really left her London apartment and is gradually figuring out how to make her presence known. Her partner of many years is trying to deal with her loss and is becoming aware of her. She bequeathed her apartment and most of her "stuff" to her twin nieces from the USA and she is also working on making her presence known to them. The book delves into the fascinating relationship between twins. Enough said about the plot in case one of you decides to read the book.

So where am I going with this rambling of mine today? It has led me to think about what might happen if I "go first". Mike and I have been married for 39 years and have produced two capable but very different children. We have amassed quite a bunch of stuff, much of which belonged to our sets of parents and forebears. I wonder whether Mike would be able to find another partner that would be prepared to continue the travelling lifestyle that we have been trying to embrace - boating, camping and so forth. Someone who won't mind working in the heat and humidity as a co-DIY'er and living in less than 5 star conditions so we can git-er-done, someone that understands that hair driers, flat irons, nail polish, high heels and white clothing have no place in this life. I hope he will be able to be happy, grieve a bit and then get the heck on with life. Another stream of thought prompted by the book - I really don't want Mike to have to try to figure out what to do with all of my personal stuff SO since we were thinking about having our wills refreshed by a Shelburne lawyer anyway I will be adding a page that deals with my personal stuff and things that belonged to my parents and grandparents so that Mike doesn't have to figure out what I would have wanted done if I go first. I don't want to have to haunt him if he gets it wrong, LOL.

That was all written on Wednesday, yesterday, perhaps I should lighten up a bit today. However, if any one of you who have been in a long term relationship says they haven't thought about the end of a relationship through death they are just plain lying...

When we travel I often think about the communities we pass through - we have had a game in the past they we play when coming ashore looking for the grocery store and other conveniences. We both smile and say Hello to those we pass while walking and the communities get rated by whether they pass the Smile-Hello-Test or not. During this trip many of our errands have necessitated the use of the rental car so not much opportunity for the SH Test. Instead, the communities get sized up by driving habits and the billboards - please remember, I am in no way being judgemental. Rather, I am just trying to get the feel of the place. Over the last few days I have determined that this area of the world outside of the marina community is not a good fit for me. The billboards advertise the prevalent gun culture and depict a population that needs Bail Bondsmen, litigation for anything you can imagine, plastic surgery, vasectomies, divorces, "Gentlemen's Clubs". The driving habits defy imagination - car drivers changing lanes at top speed without signalling while texting or clutching the phone to one ear, unhelmeted motorcycle drivers wearing flip flops zipping between lanes and up between lanes of cars. Where, exactly, are they trying to get to in such a hurry? So, like I said, not a comfortable place for me. The small community of Indiantown where our marina is located is a lot easier to handle. They pass the Smile Hello Test with flying colours, they drive like sensible humans and we can get pretty much all that we need - an exception was the paint for Nelleke's hull. There are lots of interesting fruit and veg stores with local produce and every kind of ingredient for Mexican food that you can imagine. Mike has mentioned or will mention a supper out last evening that was delicious and inexpensive served up by a young woman with one of the best smiles yet encountered. As a conclusion, we are happy to leave our hard-earned Canadian dollars behind in small coastal communities and we can enjoy that slice of the USA without experiencing the rest.

On another note, I found more of Perry on the boat today when I was reviewing the ditch bag contents - two of his folding water bowls. I put those aside to take home for Kayte's golden boys. Sigh!

The photo that accompanies this too-lengthy rant was taken in the work yard here at the marina. It depicts a plant that has persevered and poked through the scorching pavement to grow and reach the sky. It is a clear representation of my approach to things - work and leisure - keep on working hard and pressing forward and never giving up. Don't be a wimp, don't expect to get waited upon. Diligence, persistence and perseverance are usually rewarded in one way or another with a measure of success and contentment.

Comments