S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Lazy Sunday in Stuart

The diner last night for MD was truly outstanding and I don't say that lightly. It was astounding the transformation in the restaurant itself. In mere hours it morphed from kitchen table to white linen and silverware. The two young chefs that we could occasionally catch glimpses of worked wonders with the meals. I don't normally wax over the details of food but this time I will. For starters we had a humus plate that had grilled panini and three different types of humus - classic, sweet red pepper, and wasabi. I mean, who'da thunk of putting wasabi in humus. I wouldn't have, and if it's available elsewhere I have never seen it. Certainly is a delicious wake up call to your taste buds. We also had an incredible shrimp dish that consisted of grilled shrimp finished in a fish stock and white wine broth with black olives and cherry tomatoes. I am certainly going to experiment with both those and add them to the Son of a Sea Cook sequel of recipes. For a main course Barb had wild salmon grilled to perfection, not cooked dry like they are in some places and with only one set of grill marks which indicated the chef's confidence in his art. I had a crusted chicken breast served in a bed of pesto sauce with a arugula and tomato salad, also perfectly prepared and presented. Each dish had its own signature plate so for instance the two starters were each on different serving plates as were the two entrees.

It is also the second time that we have seen PEI mussels on a menu somewhere. I guess Spud Island is considered exotic or something.

We were sitting in the window so we also did some people watching while we were dining. Interesting, the ebb and flow of different "types" in a town like Stuart. Everything from bikinis with hi heels bouncing down the sidewalk, to full evening dress, to well stated casual chic, and the women looked pretty good too! Seriously though, we did see the full spectrum - motorcyclists with cut off leather jackets, some older women with understated but elegant casual blouse and slacks, to some sad creatures past, well past their best desperately trying to cling to past glories with outfits two sizes to small, strange hairdos with startling colour changes, in one case shocking pink, and guys with pot bellies wearing linen leisure-suit-Larry sports jackets with contrasting colour shirts open to mid chest to show off matted grey chest hair cushioning gold chain bling. Some people clearly aren't comfortable with who they are. Either that or they are too comfortable with what they think they are and need to look in a mirror before they go out in he morning.

When we returned to the boat we passed Saturday Night in Florida - a band playing multiple cover songs, very well, I might add, but at full volume at a waterfront bar that was full to overflowing out onto the boardwalk. Everyone in various stages of inebriation, men posturing, women shrill, and everyone partying and determined to have a good time. They were pretty much weaving about and blocking our way to the dingy dock so as Barb put it we pinballed our way through with no tempers lost and found our way back to the boat. As we putt-putted our way out to the mooring field I was a bit startled that we were the only dingy in transit showing any lights. As we sat in our cockpit contemplating life we saw a number of larger power boats roaring away from or barrelling into the waterfront bar and we couldn't help but wonder how many dingies get picked off in the dark by happy party goers.

This morning we paid another visit to the Green Farmer's Market and indulged in an over priced croissant but made up for it, or so we thought, with some reasonably priced fruit and veggies. I guess they were reasonable because even after throwing out the asparagus when we got back to the boat, what we paid for the rest (green beans, cucumber, oranges) was almost less that we paid for the croissant. Barb has been chastising herself for letting the vendor pick out the produce. A nice little oriental lady chose the asparagus and stuffed it into the bag before we had a chance to look at it. We should, and do, know better.

We have also ordered a back up generator for the boat which we will use until we can get the old one serviced. When we do we will keep one on the boat and the other at home for use if there is a power failure and to possibly take with us on our trips in the Westy. Barb is cross with me for letting the Suzuki and the generator get into the state that they were. She says, wagging her finger at me, "I expect you to know this stuff! Irresponsible!" All I can do is hang my head and look sheepish.

Since our return from the market we have rigged up both air scoops, the wind scoop on the bow and the Breeze Bandit into the middle cabin. Between them and the open decklights and hatches the below decks area is bearable. Last night Barb slept in the v-berth and by AM she needed a blanket. Good sign!

Today, being Sunday, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, will be a lazy day. Captains are supposed to be able to perform marriages so I assume we can make decrees, and that is mine for the day.

We are beginning the detailed planning for our trip back. With any luck and if the gremlins don't emerge we should be off either later Wednesday or early Thursday and given the long range forecast we will be heading up the ICW for the first part. We are gradually getting back into the swing of things for the lifestyle except for one major thing that keeps cropping up every time we see someone coming off their boat with a dog to walk. I really can't get over how much we miss Periwinkle. It seems like there is a big hole opened in our lives. There are advantages, if you want to look at it that way. We no longer have to look for anchorages where we can go ashore. We no longer have to plan to launch and recover the dingy every place we stop, we no longer have to worry about him in the heat, but, looking back, with the wonder of hindsight I would happily take Peri ashore if he were with us still. We also miss having Al the Manx cat aboard and were now just remembering how he used to come up and lick the condensation off the refrigerator and help keep things clean.

Whaaaaaa.......! Snivel.

At any rate, unless the weather changes for better forecasts it looks as though we might be taking a wee bit longer getting home than originally planned.

We spent a big piece of the noon time and early afternoon just lazing about on the boat, napping in the breeze below deck. It has been a great opportunity to catch up on some reading. It was too hot and too bright to do much of anything else. We have gotten into the habit of early rising and dining late to take advantage of cooler temperatures.

Then around 1400 we had an opportunity to watch one of the tourist local sail cruise boats come out and set sail. It's what I would call a Chesapeake Scow with a schooner rig and had quite a load of clients aboard. Interesting boat with some history, essentially a barge with sails, it was used to haul lumber from Maine to Mass before it was brought down here. Given the condition of the wooden pilings on the docks here, I am wondering how the worms are doing with its hull. The old timers used to put their wooden hulled boats into fresh water for a couple of weeks every year to kill the pesky critters so maybe that's what these folks do.

We tried out the new Q tonight for the first time, pork chops with sweet potatoes and green beans. Yumm. What wrong with me? Obsessed with food all of a sudden.

This is Barb - there was lots of activity on the water today, Sunday - unfortunately all except for that beautiful tour boat that Mike spoke of were gas guzzling stinkpots - aka overpowered powerboats. Many gusts of fuel doors were noticed in Nelleke today. Invariably once the mine canary (me) smells something a bit off I glance at Mike who sniffs and says "Not us" and nods toward whatever power boat just zoomed past us in the mooring field NO WAKE zone. What ever do they feel the need to be in such a hurry for - going so fast that they don't see anything and surely they don't enjoy this beautiful environment. Grrr. Foolish folks.

Comments