S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Back in Port Washington

Ok.

We're here on a nice mooring in Port Washington NY. If you've never been here you really should make plans. They GET it. By it I mean the benefits of the Cruising tourist. Here, the first two days on the mooring are free. That's right! Free! How often do you hear that? They have a water taxi that they will charge you to use while you are on a free mooring, or, you can pay $25/day and get the water taxi for free. Since we got in later in the day at 16h30 we decided to take a free day and stay aboard and then pay for tomorrow and go into town aboard the taxi. Port Washington itself has a lot of offer - library, restaurants, cafes etc. And if you want to get into the city there is a railway hub in the centre of town.

Last nights stay at Sandy Hook was great. The holding was excellent and we slept well so no complaints. I think we will make that a regular stop going north or south.

Then this morning yours truest got itchy feet. I didn't want to hang around and wanted to make sure that we got to The Battery without missing the tide. Of course, the whole business was 180 degrees out of phase and we did the transit a max ebb! No fun, but Nelleke and Yoki pulled us through. We even had to dodge a sea plane taking off right down our noses!

Anyway. I'm tired. That's all for today.

Comments