The dirt based kitchen update
15 February 2012 | Shelburne, NS
Barb - mild and sunny day - yippee
Time for an update and more pictures of the kitchen.
As Mike mentioned we spent Valentine's day evening quietly with a bottle of decent wine and had supper in the den - paper plates on our laps due to the wreckage in the kitchen and the dining room table is loaded with the dishes unloaded form the kitchen cabinets. I did manage to pull together fettuccine Alfredo with lobster. I was looking back in photos from 12 months ago and saw that this time last year we were just about 100% back in storage - my vase of Valentine's Day flowers was perched on a packing box in the apartment. I also saw the photos from Feb 28th last year of poor old Nelleke having her engine removed - seems so long ago yet it was only one year.
The electrician and his partner were in on Monday to rewire the kitchen and two discoveries of theirs have led us to add another step to the kitchen reno. In one area they found evidence of an old leak in the wall that caused the insulation to perish. On another wall they found eelgrass insulation - in the fifties there was a factory in Sable River (a community near here) that made insulation batts by sandwiching eelgrass between sheets of brown paper. Based on this we decided to do it right and pull off the old wall board and remove the insulation and start over with modern materials. After I returned from ordering the materials at TimbrMart I got down to the job. What a !@#$ mess but it is fun taking a hammer and prybar to things... In one spot I was working I uncovered a 4 inch nail propped with the nail head in a crack between two boards - just hanging there being held in place by insulation - heavens knows how it came to be there. Weird.
I should be able to complete the tear out tomorrow and get it cleaned up so that Mike and I can get at the rebuild in the evening.
I have added a few pictures of the floor (Mike is doing a great job) and a few of the wall teardown.