S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

More damn snow!


Sheesh! I can’t wait for it to be gone! I will say that I am increasingly happy with the heat pumps, though. With the temperature above -10 the furnace hardly ever comes on and when it does it shuts off after only a few minutes running and stays off for hours. I really can’t complain, can I? Regardless, we have been having some remarkable weather – cold, mild, snow, rain, hurricane force winds, soft zephyrs wafting the clouds about. I am so looking forward to spring!

I am still hearing that one of the councillors here in the town thinks that he will be a hero if he can reduce the operating expenses by my salary so I am waiting to see what happens, if anything. I know that Barb would like me to get back to work on the house but the extra moolah is nice to get every two weeks. My dream date would be that my job evolves into one that I could do predominantly from home (whether that be on the hard or afloat) for the winter and then with my feet on the ground during the summer to manage the projects that I have planned during the winter session. Crafty, eh? The only stumbling block is that particular councillor. He really is bordering on workplace bullying with his tone in meetings etc. Part of the problem is that he is and older guy, long term resident and former councillor who is used to the way that they did things previously. Those were the times that councillors got what they wanted by bullying and aggression. At this point I really am not sure if it is worth the aggravation.

We are looking at putting a pump-out facility at the yacht club which is the one thing that is missing from being able to call it a full service club for visiting boaters. I am torn between getting a pump that operates manually with a large handle or electrical that operates simply on a switch. A little exercise if good for one’s soul but for some folks it might be too much. More thought required and I’d be interested in seeing if any reader has some opinions as to which would be better. I don’t anticipate that there would be used for any more than a couple of pump outs a day at least in the early stages but you never know, if we become more and more popular as a boating destination we might see more usage.

Ah well. Guess I’d better put this up before I end up going on one of my long winded blatherings.

Comments