S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Getting geared up for the weekend


No, we won’t be on a gunkhole cruise but we will be heading out to act as a station boat for the Albacore Nationals that the club is hosting this weekend. This is the first time that this event is being held outside of Ontario, so it is pretty big doings for our little club. Barb will be doing duty at the registration desk while I will be out on Nelleke at the windward mark standing by to assist, or at least provide some warmth and dryness for crews that might have upset.

The weather for the weekend doesn’t appear to be totally cooperating. Friday, the first day of competition looks like it will have 20-40mm of rain, Saturday will come in with about 5mm and finally Sunday will be sunny with cloudy periods. We have a number of larger yachts in the harbour waiting for a weather window before heading south. That seems a bit early in the season, but as they are mostly American boats they are probably folks just heading home. If they are here for the weekend perhaps they will have a chance to watch the regatta at least.

As for me I am quite looking forward to having a break from the job here even if just for a couple of days to deal with something far more fun. When I retired I thought that I would be having all sorts of time to work on my own projects rather than priorities that are being set by someone else. They I made the mistake of coming out of retirement to take this job. Don’t get me wrong. I do get a sense of satisfaction with getting things done around here, much of which should have been done by my predecessors and have been outstanding for a couple of decades, but by doing them I don’t have much time to do anything else either on the boat or at home.

Ah well. Hopefully this will change in a couple of weeks.

Comments