S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Now that the regatta is over.......


..... we can get ready for more work on the house and to travel up to Ottawa to visit dear old mama.

I am hoping that we will get the bathroom done before we depart on the road trip. In addition we have contracted out some outside painting of the hacienda to one of the local painting firms and we have our fingers crossed that it will be done in time as well. If not perhaps we will get a pleasant surprise by the time we get home. The house has white vinyl siding with wooden trim and Barb has chosen a charcoal grey for the larger vertical pieces and a sort of Burgundy brick colour for the ginger breading. When it’s done we’ll take a photo and post it on the blog so you can be the judge.

Our travel plans will keep us in Canada since we will be traveling with son Chris and he hasn’t gotten himself in gear to get a passport so that he can travel in the US of A. We will be departing on Saturday AM and stop off briefly in Halifax to visit with daughter Kayt and then off to Springhill to pick him up from his apartment at 14h00; then it will be the same old bag drive of a drive for fifteen hours to get to the nation’s capital – yawn! At least this time Chris and Barb will be along to help with the driving so it won’t be all on me. We will be heading on up through northern New Brunswick and through the eastern part of southern Quebec before passing through Montreal and into Ontario. At least once we clear Montreal it will only be two more hours to Ottawa. We should get there by Sunday before lunch which is good as we will have to leave by Thursday so Chris can be back at work by Saturday.

As for little old me and the dirt based job, I am on again off again. I’m not really sure if I wasn’t to put up with the foolishness from some of the old time former politicians and town staff who seem to be making it their business to make my life problematic. I have done all my calculations and have figured out that I am actually doing this job for something in the order of $600/month after all the payments I am making into RRSPs and not taking money out of my personal pension plan so as not to be nailed too much with taxes. If I go back to how we were when we stopped the cruising lifestyle, the difference is that $600 and I am wondering more and more if it is all worth it. I will make up my mind after we come back from Ottawa and the visit to my mom. Maybe I will give them a couple of months to find a replacement. It will depend upon their reaction to things and as well other stuff that they are doing now. Ah well. If it was easy anyone could do it. It’s just that there is stuff that I’d much rather be doing, I think.

Comments