S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another stop - Port Jefferson

A very l o n g day!

Rising at 0200 we left Block Island in the dark and after 15 hours we pulled into Misery Cove at Port Jefferson. We haven't been here in 3-4 years and in our absence what I call a Piss Off sign was erected at the mouth of the cove - basically bureaucratic bumph saying everyone needs permission and a permit to pick up one of the moorings etc etc etc so as I thumb this waiting for the dinner party to commence and am also dreading the arrival of the petty official. So far nothing and the rule has probably been in place all along and they have only recently perhaps had problems with people abusing the service. So, we'll see. I remember being told in the past that during the off season it was unlikely that anyone would bother us but you never know.

Conditions on the Sound were great and we were sad to bid farewell to our friend Jim but maybe we will see him sometime when he gets his boat down south. He was telling us that he and his girl friend live aboard Midpoint 12 months a year with it being covered and heated in the wintertime at the dock.

Bright sunny day during which we were able to sail for most of it although we did run the motor to compensate for the current which seemed to be against us for most of the trip.

We didn't have a shakedown cruise before we departed and the things that we would have caught are now cropping up. I will spend tomorrow at anchor if we can't stay here at the mooring trying to fix as many of them as I can.

Radio - doesn't work properly. Suspect poor ground or bad antenna
Stuffing box - needs to be tightened
And one or two other wee issues.

Then on Friday we will be off to Port Washington!

Comments