S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Overcast and muggy in PW

Last night, after a great dinner aboard Moonlight Maid, the heavens opened and it poured albeit for a short while. We roused ourselves in the middle of the night to close all the hatches and went back to sleep calm in the security of well maintained moorings.

After a first trip ashore to walk Peri we came back in again to walk up the road to the Verison store where we had been told by the national Verison call centre that we could get our phone upgraded for $0! Who could turn that down but talk about bait and switch. The store wouldn't honour what the central office told us and kept trying to sell us the same phones that we had been told were free. So, we told them thanks but no thanks and we will be calling the call centre again and get them to send a phone to Deltaville for our pickup. Annoying to say the least.

We also discovered the train station where for $8 in the evenings or on weekends you can go from Port Washington to Penn Station in the City and I was struck, why don't Canadians do sensible things like that. We had a perfectly good railway that went from out the south shore into town through Bedford and into Halifax and another that went from Sackville into Halifax as well. We should have used them as mass transit but instead we tear up the tracks. No foresight. No thought.

I believe that we may have narrowed down the search for the accumulation of water in the bilge. I believe that there is a stray leak in our fresh water system as the water in the bilge is not salt. How would I know you ask? Well herself pumped the bilge and I collected a sample in a styrofoam cup and conducted a personal taste test followed by an immediate cup of tea and vigorous tooth brushing to get rid of the taste, but it was definitely fresh water it the slightest touch of diesel bilge. Now we get to search for the leak. Haven't found anything definitive but it did appear to be coming from forward so I tightened each of those lamps a bit to see what, if any impact that would have.

Nomad, the Austrian aluminum ketch that we first met in Shelburne and wig whom we have been playing leapfrog all the way down the coast showed up today. Funny how small the cruising community can be if you choose to meet and speak to folks.

We took the water jerry cans ashore in the dingy to recharge the freshwater tanks and will be doing the same when we take Peri in for his evening walk. That should put 30 gallons aboard and if we do the same in the morning we'll bring that to 45 or 60 if I make another run in the dink.

We are awaiting a phone call from Moonlight Maid to nip in with the dink to ferry them back to their boat after their visit to the city. If they get back after 2200 the taxi service will have shut down for the day so we made contingency arrangements before they left this AM.

Comments