S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Away again.....

Oh, man. What a day!

First we left Deltaville after settling our account (always a painful experience) and then headed out on a 50 nm jaunt to Hospital Point in Norfolk. Just outside Broad Creek we were astounded at the sheer number of oyster dredges that were out there churning the bottom muddy brown with their drags. I'm surprised that there are any oysters left what with the aggressive fishing techniques and the number of boats on the water.

Then we were on a broad reach with 20 kn of wind off the starboard quarter for the next six hours. At about the time we turned into the approaches to Norfolk harbour we noticed that the tachometer was behaving very strangely - it would instantly drop to zero then back to normal and bounce around all over the place. I knew it had to be something electric since the engine kept plugging along at the same rpms, but I couldn't figure out what. I was determined to pull everything apart once we were anchored but then Barb went below and looked under the floorboards and saw water dripping down. Subsequent inspection showed that one of the hose clamps fastening the anti siphon loop into place had a leak and the water was dripping down onto the the battery shunt and at the fuse, so I tightened it and added an extra clamp for security. Shortly after the tach began to behave. Everything else the guys did for us works great, in fact the hot water is almost dangerously hot. I foresee showers aboard in the future.

Hospital Point is just off Tidewater Marina where we had bought fuel several times in the past but had never anchored here before. After a couple of tries we got the CQR in and holding at least enough for tonight which promises to be 6 kn out of the NW. Tomorrow we can sleep in a bit since the bridges only open after 0830 and we will make a short day of it stopping at Pungo Ferry about 20 nm beyond Great Bridge.

Comments