S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Close to the Atlantic again....

Up up and awaaaaaaay. We are off again.

Early this AM I got up and removed the two faulty batteries from the cranking bank and retired the remaining two to give me a 24 volt bank with a centre tap to give me a 12 volt cranking source. My o my how wonderful when it worked.

I didn't mention in yesterday's catchup post that we had been ashore in Lukens, a small coastal town and hat had been abandoned in the 1940s. Apparently it was very much like the outports in Newfoundland, only accessible by water, and very few opportunity other than traditional industries, in this case fishing against a dwindling resource, for the young people. So, the packed up everything, including their houses etc and moved to the mainland. All that is left is the cemetery but from the dates on the tombstones people are still being brought home to be laid to rest. We did startle a flock of wild turkeys who scampered off into the woods with loud gobbling.

Today the trip was down a small part of the Neuse River and the. Into Adams Creek for the jaunt down a canal to Morehead City. We had already decided to stop off at a marina so we coughed up for a two day stay at the Morehead City Yacht Basin - nice place, clean etc but every additional thing costs a little more money. For example the courtesy car is an additional charge. Regardless the facilities are very nice and it will be a great spot for us to get some boat chores done. Not done with our madcap spendthrift ways we are going out shopping for groceries, a couple of things to make the head smell better and, get this, we will be going out for diner.

Shock upon shock!

Comments