S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

First blustery day in St Augustine

Today was a tourist day, much to the chagrin of Peri who, after his walk was relegated to boat sentry while Barb and I went to shore for a look around. The weather was supposed to be nice but instead it went overcast and windy. No rain but still cool. On the plus side the wind generator kept the charge up on the house bank while we were ashore and the moorings were good and solid so we had no worries about Nelleke.

We had coffee with Alan and Heather at a place called Bistro de Leon and started off for a marine consignment store but en route we got a call from the fellow we were going to take the tour from who asked us to move our timings from 1400 to1200. To easy! The tour with tour guide Pete Gold was outstanding in his little electric bus that was able to get us into a lot of the small side streets that we would otherwise not have access to if we had gone on one of the trolleys. He also brought with him a friend of his named Moe who was an archaeologist who had worked on a number of the digs in town. It was also fascinating to find out how many lawns, sidewalks, streets and indeed even living rooms had been dug up all in the interest of discovering more of the local history. Did you know that in spite of the fact that Ponce de Leon's fountain of youth is supposed to be here in town, he himself never set foot in the area? That was a surprise to me. I'd like to introduce Pete to our friend Ian from back in Shelburne. The both seem to have the same passion for architecture and history and they're both expat Englishmen.

We also found a small company that makes reenactment paraphanelia and the leatherworker was good enough to punch two new holes in the belt of the slowly shrinking Michael. Hurrah! I am still targeting getting the carcass down to under 200 pounds.

Back to the boat by 1530 and made her fast for a windy night which is a sure remedy to guarantee calm weather.

Tomorrow we will be targeting some of the museums in town.

Comments