S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Hot swelters day

Whew. A hot and sticky day. In short an expected prelude to a storm so we won't be surprised when there is a major rainfall and thunderstorm tomorrow. I feel like a damp dishcloth I have been perspiring so much.

Today, however, we took advantage of the fact that Kayte was here with a rental car and both did some chores and explored. The other day we had emptied one of the 35 lb propane tanks so we needed to get that filled so that was the first thing, then we toddled down the road to Cocoa Beach and Melburne for a West Marine in the hopes of getting a new VHF radio which they didn't have. It turns out that the Binnacle back in Halifax has one for $350Cdn or we can get a newer different radio and a new RAM mic for about $300US which is close to the same price. I will be making a call to Halifax to confirm that the advertised free shipping is in fact free and then I will probably go with the one from the store back home.

We are also planning a trip to the Space Centre. Sometime during Kayte's visit, we only have to. Co-Ordinate it with the all important day trip to the Orlando factory outlets. Still, a space training adventure, a visit to the centre, it all seems like a dream to someone like me who when it comes to a possible alien abduction, my bags are already packed. Daughter Kayte has some work perks from her employer that may save us a few buckaziods so we are looking into that.

Regardless, today was wonderful. It was fascinating to see a number of the places that we had o ly seen from the water, this time from terra firma. For instance, the Canaveral Canal - driving towards it was a length of condos, timeshares, and hotels that all looked very nice indeed. Cocoa Beach was what I had always envisioned these beaches to be, great lengths of pure white sand, with loads of happy folk frolicking in various states of undress, some of whom should wear more, and frequent piers with boutiques, stores and restaurants stretching out into the ocean. Very nice and load of people obviously enjoying themselves. We did a little shopping g and I finally bought myself a pair of sandals. Barb has been bugging be to get some, mostly for when I take a shower, but I was prepared to get some for just strolling about. Showers don't bother me too much.

Had a BBQ for dinner tonight, sausages and salad and a nice movie on deck.

Comments