S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Coming down to the wire

Today was another day of preparations.

First though, we discovered quite by accident that there was a main office for the marina other than the one for the mooring field, and furthermore, one day, when we come back here the two facilities will be combined in one large building that is nearing completion. The whole business is really very close to the City Hall so it is definitely a centre-piece for the community, Barb did a laundry in this central building while I walked about a mile up one of the streets that is perpendicular to the waterfront to a marine store that goes by the name Crook and Crook (not sure that I would want that for the name of a business of mine, but if my family name was Crook perhaps I'd feel differently) which is a bit of an institution in these parts.

I took Peri in to the vet's this afternoon to get the papers signed that should allow him to come with us to the Bahamas. Very positive experience all round, at least for me, I can't speak for himself, but at the end of the day he is all legal and when we finish our provisioning and get a weather window we should be off. It is now looking like that could be Sunday or Monday.

While I was off with the wonder hound Barb paid a return visit to the Fresh Market and picked up a few things for tonight and others that were on sale. Tomorrow we will be off to Publixs and to a bank for the rest of the provisioning and for the $300 entry fee to get into the Bahamas. Then we should be able to just wait to cross. When we arrived here one of the reasons that we were able to find a mooring was that Thursday was a crossing day and a dozen boats that had been waiting had just left.

We have been getting a number of Christmas greetings from friends by email. Merry Christmas back to all in case with the crossing we have a problem getting either wifi or cell coverage. It's great that we are able to communicate with our friends while we are underway and even better that they can communicate back. Best to all!

Comments