S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Sunny day in Alice Town

It looks like the weather will be very favourable, indeed outstanding for the next week or so, and since the prices are quite acceptable here we will stay a second day and get ready for the 154 mile junket to The Little Harbour Inlet. There are a couple of "panic" anchorages depending upon the weather en route at the Berries and at Cherokee Settlement so if the rage won't let us through we will have a place to hold up until it will. As of now I am aiming to get to the inlet by Friday and Hope Town by late Friday or Saturday. I am hoping there will be a mooring ball available in the harbour, if not we will anchor off and change anchorage to suit weather conditions.

Today we will be boat cleaning. It will be unexpected bounty for the local fish population since there are no pump out facilities in The Biminis. Not that there is much there since we pumped out just before we left Diner Key but I would like to rinse out the tank. I'll also take advantage of the free brackish water to flush out the bilge.

Alice Town looks like a place that has seen better days but it certainly doesn't seem through any fault of the local population. The workday didn't end last night until there were no more boats to come in and it started today at 0700 with the water taxi taking visitors and local alike to numerous destinations. Calypso music for an alarm clock. What could possibly be better?

I expect with the mild weather and light winds today we can expect to see more boats making the crossing today and arriving this afternoon. One thing that I had forgotten about the stretch of water between Florida and the Bahamas - it is deep, and it stays deep almost to the western shore of North Bimini Island. Imagine. You can almost cast for mahi-mahi from the shore the edge is that close. Make for a great B grade horror flick wouldn't it? Something from the Abyss crawls out and starts to munch up tourists on the beach, 'cause the beaches are all on the west side facing the US. From where I am sitting in our cockpit looking at a Bahamian sunrise over the deck of an Irwin 37 that's our neighbour who arrived yesterday shortly before we did. The stretch of water is very shallow for miles so although it looks like we are exposed from the east the Bahamas Banks act as a very nice block.

Comments