S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Bon Voyage, Chris....

We were up celebrating or sending Chris off last night. Oooooh my stomach. Can you spell indigestion and I'm not the only one, Barb was groaning as well. At least we didn't send our little boy off hungry. Poppa Nasty's was excellent food but I just didn't communicate our order right so we only got one order of food which meant another trip to the restaurant here at the marina. Chris knows all the staff here and was getting happy hugs from all of the women and strange secret hand shakes from the guys. For us he saved the best news - he enjoyed it so much if he can figure out how to finagle it he will come down again before we leave. I have my fingers crossed on that one.

The sunken sport fisherman has already been sold to the proprietor of the local dive shop. Rats! Now I will have to be on the lookout for another deal. Chris has suggested that we tell the marina at Indiantown what we are looking for and tow it across next year as a tender. He has even offered to go in on the deal a little bit with us financially. So maybe next year we will have a Boston Whaler to zoom about in and the dingy can stay on the davits.

We were roused by another rainstorm at 0500 which initiated another mad dash around the deck closing hatches and lowering the wind scoop. Rather rude and early alarm clock if you ask me! The scoop was right over Chris's bunk and he tried and succeeded to stem the worst of it by closing the hatch but there was still drippage which I needed to rectify by going up on deck.

I put some beach sand in a sandwich bag for the wee lad to take home with him. The old superstition has it that if you take some sand from the Bahamas home you will come back again. He boarded the 0800 ferry to Marsh Harbour that will give him a 2.5 hour wait at the exciting edifice of the MH airport rather than take the 0945 ferry which would have made it merely an hours wait for his flight. He's a chip of the old blockhead in that regard. I always did want to get things moving once the time for departure had come. There is also the factor that I had heard that sometimes the Air Bahamas flight will leave early if they have all their registered passengers checked in which would be a good thing as he had a very short layover in Nassau before his flight to Toronto. So, there we stood on the dock at the marina in the prescribed parental posture of distraught as he motored away on the launch to meet the ferry hoping for him to turn around so we could wave again, but nary a backward glance. Sniff! We will hear at around 1700 when he arrives at Toronto airport.

Today will likely be a lazy day as we get our heads around the fact that we don't have someone here to host. Our thanks to all the cruisers and staff around the various boats and businesses who made him feel so welcome and helped us ensure that he had a good time.

Later today will be choir practice. Great. Something to keep me awake. In the meanwhile we are banging away with the water maker targeting 14 gallons today. I figured out that at 9A and 24VDC running the water maker for an hour is approximately a quarter of a kilowatt hour for which the marina charges us $0.19 which is less than the charge for water. Of course that doesn't take into account my time high is one more reason for me to hurry up and finally finish the install so there won't be as much labour involved on my part. Of course that'll make me even more lazy.

I have also designed a water scoop for the deck that should allow us to collect 20cuft of water or nearly 160 Imp gal for every inch of rain. Our tanks are only 120 gallons so this could be a great thing to have in conjunction with the water maker or vice versa.

The choir practice was loads of fun as it usually is and we got a picture of Barry's plans for the next couple of months. We have a lot of really interesting bits to do with some beautiful arrangements for old songs and some new pieces that I have never heard of. Very interesting that Barry with his background knows a lot of the composers whose music we are learning.

Comments