S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A day of boat work

This morning on the other hand also started with a mega blow and I was fully expecting the heavens to open and the rain to begin to fall as the weather witches had predicted as recently as yesterday, but guess what? The clouds dissipated and the sun came out. Oh it is still windy but the forecast has lost the rain part of it so our grand experiment with the scuppers and standpipe to collect water will have to await another day.

I had a short meeting with Aaron, the manager of this place, and made a couple of suggestions to improve the wifi here. He mentioned that without fibre-optic cable he has the most bandwidth that he can, 15 MBytes rather than the 5 than I had previously thought. He said that the houses and the hotel get priority on the wifi signal and what is left goes out to the marina, so I suggested that he consider getting a second feed that would be dedicated to the marina and h thought that idea had merit and would call his suppliers to see if it could be done. I get the feeling that he is doing his best to resolve the problems it's just that the deck is slightly stacked against him.

Instead we went in to collect some more moola from the bank and do a little bit of grocery shopping for our dinner party tonight. The local charter fisherman isn't going out today because of the strong winds but he does have about three pound of dolphin in his freezer that he has agreed to sell us so we will be able to have the fish on the BBQ that we promised everyone the other night. We made a couple of trips into town to get the necessaries for the dinner and gloriorsky for once pretty much everything was there. We even discovered the secret of getting OJ here - buy the frozen concentrate that you mix with water, so we should be able to have some seriously tasty "Painkillers" to start the evening.

We have also almost finished the shade covering for the main hatch as there are only one or two small design modifications that need to be rectified and it too will be finished. Speaking of projects that are working well the water maker install did very well last night. As I mentioned in a previous post the controls are in place just inside the seat rather than on the front of it which, although requiring a small amount of fussing to access, is a lot neater than having them on the outside which was the original idea. Sometimes things happen for a reason, don't they?

We have been unable to have a hot tub today since the staff has had to drain it to clean it off from all the sand etc that the kids left behind. Perhaps later, after the dinner Barb and I could go up and, oh no, we have forgotten our bathing suits, whatever shall we do?........

Comments