S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Hump Day in the Abacos

(phot is of some of our neighbours)

Here we are on another windy overcast day. Wow! At least there isn't snow, praise be. We have been watching the Internet news of the spanking that New England is getting. Really glad we're here even with the overcast and wind.

I did find out this morning that we have to run the water maker for longer or more often. In spite of making 14 gallons in two hours every two days we ran out after a little more than a month's usage, so that's not too bad I guess. Maybe if I run it for three hours we will be able to keep ahead of it. It's all an experiment really, isn't it?

The dinner we had last night was great, if I do say so myself. I BBQed the mahi-mahi in a coating of flour, salt and pepper, cayenne, and grated coconut and it was really superb. In fact there was so much of the fish that we couldn't finish it all, so tonight we are having mahi-mahi burgers from the left overs.

Our home back home needed some work on the furnace and our friend Ian who has been looking after the place for us got the local furnace repair guy in to work on it. It appears that the problem was with the transformer high he replaced and now it is trucking along just fine to the tune of $240. I am a little surprised that a transformer conks out, after all there are no moving parts but it may be the dampness etc. Ah well.

We have spent the last couple of days at watching our neighbours reseat one of their port lights which is a job that I will have to do on one or two of ours shortly. It's most informative to watch him, his technique, determine what materials he is using etc. he is taking great care and for one thing we have come to an agreement on the type and nature of caulking that we need to use. There is a manufacturer called Life-Caulk that makes a product that is flexible even when dry which I have used in the past to caulk the seams in a wooden boat and it looks to be just the stuff for this job too. Now all I have to do is find someone who sells it here. Hopefully I won't have to travel over to Marsh Harbour to get some.

Comments