S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another Friday....

..... If it wasn't for choir practice on Friday and singing in church on Sunday I'd have a problem remembering what day in the week it was.

We were rousted out of the bunk this morning by what I think was a porpoise rolling in the water beside the boat. It made quite a racket I can tell you and gave us quite a start as I wasn't sure what it was. I scrambled up the companionway in time to see another roll and hear a gasp of air through a blow hole which is what made me think - porpoise, since I didn't actually see anything.

Our neighbours on Scaramouche were kind enough to give us a ride in their Alburys 23 to and from the wine tasting event at Firefly Resort last night and what a do that was. The place is situated midway between the south and north end of Elbow Cay and the residents from either end, while they are unlikely to travel as far as the other end, will come to the mid point, so there were a lot of people there. Of course the free wine and beer was a great draw too. The resort is absolutely beautiful. They have a dock but only for boats to come to tie up for dinner. No one stays there. There is deep water anchorage just off though, so often boats like Nelleke will come there for a couple of days just to hang out. One of the regular draws at the place is the incredible sunsets that you can see from the bar patio as the place faces west. We also had pointed out to us where we could come to snorkel for lobsters just off the abandoned Elbow Cay Resort. Apparently there is a sunken barge, some cars and trucks, all which make for a great lobster apartment building. We'll have to try it.

This AM we walked over to the Lighthouse Marina where we scored some free Sunbrella fabric just for Barb's assistance to the canvas worker there in adjusting the tension on her sewing machine. Pretty good deal and we will be using the fabric to make a water catchment. I also began the search for a centre console motor boat that we could use for fishing or traveling up and down the coast for some of the events that we hear about every morning on the Cruisers Net. Scaramouche goes out of the harbour and can get to Little Harbour in 30 minutes or Great Guana Cay in 20 so it extends the reach of your fun making while you are here. Plus we would be able on calm days to go out in the Atlantic to fish. Sigh! Wish I was rich! We also bought some small measuring cups that will help me mix the gas for the two stroke.

Today is choir practice day which is always fun and tomorrow we will rent a scuba tank or two from Froggies and I will put the zinc on Troubadour and clean off the bottom of Nelleke and check our zincs. I might even take over our steel tanks and see if they'll fill them for us. Problem is they all need a hydro and VIP so they would be within their rights to refuse.

On a party note, we are preparing for Super Bowl Sunday with the party here at the marina - a five beer bucket for $20 and chilli for a farting good time over the next couple of days. Just the thing for after church. We are also organizing a dock party for sometime next week and on Monday we are having Scaramouche and Dreamcatcher over for dinner. Our social life is really exhausting!

We still have a slight leak somewhere in the pressure water system. Not much but enough that every four to six hours enough water dribbles into the bilge to kick off the automatic bilge pump. I'm not sure whether I want to shut the water on and off as we had been or simply accept the small leak since we are at the dock. I will look for anything else to tighten up over the next couple of days and then make up my mind. As it is I am running the water maker on any of the daylight flood tides to see what our consumption actually is. I suspect that with some care and conservation practices we are probably using in the order of 10-15 gallons per day with the leakage. I expect that if we could isolate and eliminate the leak we would be looking at 8-10 gallons, which wouldn't be too bad. Of course our water consumption would be a lot higher if we didn't have access to the showers here at the marina.

Comments