S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A day trip to Dunmore Town

This was an interesting day to say the very least. Up early and off to check on the status of the outboard with the mechanic (nothing done as yet) and then off to the ticket shop to buy tickets for the ferry to Dunmore Town on Harbour Island, and then of course, onto the ferry and away..... I will tell you the ferry ride is something that everyone should do at least once as it rivals a lot of carnival rides for thrills. It's a 30 minute jaunt on a big powered catamaran that hammers along at no less than fifteen knots and sometimes faster but the really exciting part is when his course takes him within literally spitting distance of the beach. I say spitting distance and I really mean it. If you were to take a running start from the opposite side of the boat you would be able to land, if not on the beach, then at least in chest or waist deep water. Then suddenly we were at the government dock in Dunmore Town, a really pretty place, again as different as night and day for any other place that we had be at in the Bahamas. Obviously a place for the well heeled and at least moderately famous. We visited four resorts out there and tucked into each just in time for the heavens to open and a deluge begin. The Pink Sands, Coral Sands, Dunmore and Rock House, all places that have rooms in the off season that start at $500/night. We had a nice lunch at the Dunmore and then came back to Rock House for a coffee. A great place to visit but clearly even in my wildest fantasies we would never be able to afford a place there. Barb shot some video, some of which included me. I had no idea that when I walk I do so with my feet shoulder width apart with a rolling gait and the only thing I could think of was a circus bear performing on the other end of my chain. I will have to watch my posture and stride in future.

Back in Spanish Wells and we are looking forward and planning out trip further south. Looks like we might be able to get away from the dock maybe on Saturday and head on out to Royal Island again in preparation for a possible Sunday reach down to Leaf/Allen Cay and then then Sunday to Staniel Cay. This is a nice, albeit incomplete, marina but it irks me no end to pay $1.50/ft when the shower in the men's room doesn't work or when the water out to the docks is in-potable; but we are sheltered and safe here so with the upcoming blow this is the right place to be.

Comments