S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Last full day in Hope Town

Friday at Hope Town

This is the first Friday since our arrival on 19 December 2014 that we aren't going to choir practice. I really wanted to go but what would be the point since on Saturday we plan to head out for Treasure Cay and won't be there for the service on Sunday.

Yesterday after we posted the blog for the day we discovered that yesterday evening there was to be another dingy drift in the harbour. For those of you uninitiated a dingy drift is when there is a full moon dinghies from all the yachts in the area manned by the crews of said yachts show up in the harbour and tie off to each other with everyone bringing what they want to drink and what they would like to pass around as an hors d'ouvres for others to sample. We had been to two since we arrived before Christmas so there was no question but that we would be going on this one. The only problem is that we found out too late to make anything so we had to get some stuff from the marina restaurant to offer. Conch fritters are a nice bite sized snack for all and from what I could tell were much appreciated.

Our practice in running the water maker has been to switch the output to the testing tap before we start so as to ensure that the water meets standard and fill our drinking jugs before switching it to pump into the tank. Once we have finished putting water into the tank we then to switch it back to the testing tap to ensure that it continued to meet the standard during the period we were running the water maker. The last time that we ran it we did the test as per normal but this time I happened to taste it as well. Imagine my surprise when I found the water to be warm and I don't mean boiling but I don't mean tepid either. I think it was the water passing through the engine compartment that warmed it up somewhat but also I believe that I need to lubricate the pump mechanism more than I have been as well. At any rate we ran it yesterday afternoon before and the dingy drift and there seemed to be no ill effects.

The drift was loads of fun and it's a great way to meet other cruisers that was hadn't made the acquaintance with as yet. There is something about being in a small rubber boat tied together with other small rubber boats, mixed with nibblies and alcohol that fosters camaraderie. I have the feeling that it was the most dingies yet for us, although we have heard rumours of over fifty in one last year. We got some advice from other boats about out trip back specifically regarding the route through the Whale Cut and across the northern islands over to Memory Rock and across the Stream. I had thought to be able to make the jump from Treasure Cay to Great Sale in one day but everyone says that it would be too long. Better to break the trip in half with a stop somewhere in between such as Green Turtle. Then from there to Great Sale and from there to St Lucie Inlet. I will run this plan past Barry and Jim tonight at dinner and see what they have to say.

We were getting ready to take the garbage bag in to the town's collection this morning. I suppose we could just drop it into the marina garbage boxes but those are supposed to be for the marina's dockside guests and we both remember how much we were disgusted by one fellow who knew better or who simply couldn't wait a day to do it right snuck in to the dock to deposit a bag of illicit garbage into the dock bins. I just don't understand why some people feel that the rules don't apply to them. Anyway, as it turns out we didn't have to do it either since Andrew, the fellow who owns the moorings, came by and offered to take ours in for us. Very kind gesture.

I also did my good deed for the day and got wet helping Sunday find the fuel cap off his outboard that he accidentally dropped into the drink a couple of days ago. He was both lucky and smart. Once he dropped the cap he didn't move the boat or shorten or lengthen the mooring painter so when I hopped in the water and swam down it was right there. He probably could have picked it up with a sponge rake. Anyway, I was really happy to help him out as he was one of the guys who was giving us water maker advice as well as offering to lend us a dingy when the suzuki wasn't operational. Nice to be able to return favours.

We also got a quick visit from Fay Hicks our friend from former days in Halifax. How great is it when you can cross paths with old friends while at the same time making new ones?

Comments