S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Busy day, One sleep and then, away!

I have begun to make a list of things to do when we get back in the fall. There's the normal stuff: paint the anti-fouling, polish the top sides, replace the zinc etc. but there are also a few additional things that I'd like to do before splash as it'll be easier when we are on solid ground: I want to make an additional modification to the bow anchor rollers, not a big deal but it will require a welder who can do stainless; we will put the silent blades on the wind generator; I want to fix the back stay antenna for the SSB; there are some lift points on the Walker bay that have never been installed that I want to make use of; I am going to install a small lift crane on the wind generator mast that we will use to lift the dingy out of the water when we are at anchor or on a mooring so we won't be dealing with the bottom getting fouled as we did this year in warmer waters; and I want to possibly rearrange the radios and put them in the office or middle cabin. I have always been frustrated that our middle cabin has tended to become a storage area and I am really hoping that with it set up for continual usage it won't degenerate to that again. I have visions of sitting in the office working on the computer or painting or any such. Barb basically takes over the salon table when she does her crafts so I don't expect that she will object to my little office area. Besides going over the sails while we are at home this summer Barb and I will be working on a riding sail for the mizzen and stack packs for both the main and mizzen. She will also be making wind scoops for the middle cabin and ours and shades for the hatch covers. And one final little job will be a strengthening modification to the outboard gallows aft.

In the meantime, this is only March and the temperature and humidity here in central Florida has to be experienced to be believed! I can't begin to imagine what it must be like here in July and August. We have met several boats who are only starting their cruise and their intent is to go through Okechobee and cruise about the Gulf Coast before heading back to the Keys. Wow! They must have molten lead for blood to be able to handle this temperature let alone what it would be like further into the summer.

We have also begun to learn the ins and outs of bug control. I remember as a child my parents doing battle with the forces of incectavore but like most kids it was grownup stuff and you didn't pay attention to it. Now I wish I had. We are sitting here aboard Nelleke trying to take advantage of whatever breeze happens and doing whatever we can to discourage flies, no se'ums and Mosquitos. I don't know what is in those citronella candles but those are a great initial counterattack. Then we have mosquito coils and I know even less of what is in those but they are the counterattack reinforcements and finally there is the bug spray. Combination of all should work but the problem is the heat. With that there is always some portion of your anatomy that you either didn't spray or missed or whatever and at some point during the night when the candle and coil goes out you hear this zzzzzzzzzzzzip and all of a sudden I get bit on a private bit. Ouchie!

I am thumbing this part of the blog it is morning at the marina and we are doing small chores while waiting for the cab to come and get us to fetch the van. We have decided to not go for the now unnecessary interview with customs as we have already been cleared and granted the Local Boater Option numbers by the fellow in Miami. That will give us all that much more time today to pack the van and figure out if we have all the space that we need. I am pretty sure that we will but it is one of those things that until you actually fit things in, around, and by you are never 100% confident. We have also asked the marina to be moved up on the timetable if one of the boats scheduled for before us doesn't show up. With our luck they will all be here as keen as we are. We have also blown off the inn here in Indiantown in favour of a dog friendly one in Daytona for tomorrow night. We should be there by 1900-2000hrs in time to walk Peri and have a bath. OMG did I say the b-word!? I haven't had a bath since September 6, 2014! Loads of showers so I have been clean-ish but for the sheer luxury and decadence there is nothing that beats a wallow in a good hot tub! The. The next day we will be off for Savanah for a couple of days.

We have acquired the van and packed it. A near thing but everything pretty much fit. It's amazing how much space there is in one of those minivans once you hide all the seats under the floor. We were done by 1500 and treated ourselves to copious cold drinks and a hot shower.

Sigh.

Much as I am looking forward to this part of our trip it still is a sad time for me to be leaving the boat all alone for six months.

Hope she doesn't get too lonely.

PS Late breaking news. One of the boats that was due to come out before us is still stuck somewhere waiting for an engine part. He was schedule for haulout at 1000 so that is our new time. Yippie!

Comments