S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Walking around Savanah

Ahhhhh!

Run away! Run away! Don't ever stay here. It's too late for me but save yourselves.

The most feared thing for males in North America is right next to this hotel - a Factory Store Outlet Mall! My wallet took a hit last night. Those places are insidious. They even get the guys. Who can resist a part of shorts for $6! Or saying no to your Admiral when she holds up two long sleeved t-shirts for $5.99 each and a third for $10. I went down in flames I tell you. Oh, and I must confess to buying a set of $120 topsider loafers for less than $60. Oh, the shame of it! We even bought a cigarette plug in recharger and battery unit for the iPads and iPhones for $12.

Sniff!

I am lost. I need an intervention. The women don't. It's a natural state for them.

Anyway, I got away with only about a $200 hit at the outlet stores yesterday and today we started the day with breakfast in the hotel lobby with a turtle. That's right. A turtle. A couple of very personable and polite little boys were having breakfast with their parents and they mentioned to us that they had seen a turtle in the lobby. When I went out to check I found a small little terrapin hardly out of the egg sitting in a bewildered fashion in the middle of the floor. It was barely over an inch long and was obviously frightened as its head and legs were firmly pulled in. We picked it up so no one would step on it and brought it in to where we were eating until we finished and could take it out into the verge. There was a fence and a small stream on the other side where we put it with the hopes that it could make it. The two young lads came with us and helped to pick the spot.

Barb and I then went into town to take the last three walks but I must admit that we could only handle the first two, the river walk, and the one pertaining to the first of the town squares. The actual walk took about two and a half hours, but we kept popping into stores to window shop or buy candy or ice cream. This is an outstanding town to visit. In fact on one of our previous cruises I had no idea how close we actually were to being here before. There are some very, very, expensive docks to tie up to on the downtown area but this ain't Atlantis in Naussa so I can't see spending $4/ft to spend the night here. At about ten miles out on the ICW there are some more reasonable marinas and even a couple of anchorages from which you can take a bus into town. Of course Nelleke's sights are aimed south over the next two or three seasons at least, but perhaps after that........

The river walk was particularly interesting and one which I would strongly recommend that you take if you ever visit. We also took a drive over to Tybee Island which was strangely familiar for some reason but which we could never figure out. It is very much set up as summer homes and touristy so it really isn't our sort of place. A kind of smaller Daytona Beach. Still, it was attractive and well laid out and everyone seemed friendly. I would like to remember why the place seems familiar to me. Ah well. We all get more and more senior moments as time goes by.

Comments