S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Busch Gardens!

The new President's actions on the first couple of weeks of his presidency have been very interesting, and even more interesting has been the reaction of some of the old timers on both sides of the house. Obama seems to be the first politician that I have seen in years that understand that the real engine of growth and prosperity of a country is not big business, it's not even small business, and it certain isn't any special interest groups. Rather it's the population of the country itself, for it is a population with money for discretionary spending that buys homes and cars, TVs and refrigerators, goes out for dinner and takes vacations. The only trouble with fuelling the population economy through the people from a politician's point of view is that it's tough to get favours and kickbacks from 380 million individuals. It's much easier to expect some back scratching from corporations and lobyists. The major parties still have some grey haired holdouts for old time politics and politicians expectations, but I think the man is so popular that he is going to get his way, especially when with his example, the population are going to compare their other politicians to him and many are going to come up wanting. Here's hoping anyway. Then, maybe, just maybe it will spread to Canada.....

Yesterday we met four fence rattlers just in front of the boat. You know what fence rattlers are don't you? They are folk that are walking past the marina that may or may not have a boat of their own, just not at that particular marina so they don't have keys to the gates, so they talk to you through the fence, reminiscent of old time prison chain gang films. All they need is a tin cup to drag back and forth across the mesh, back and forth, back and forth..... Anyway, they turned out to be someone who knows of places that we are planning to cruise to after we leave here, most importantly Bocca Chica Key near Key West. There is a Naval Air Station Marina there where we had planned to stay. When we told them that they strongly recommended that we call ahead soon and reserve a slip if that's what we want or a mooring. They gave us the name of the manager there, Billy, and told us to tell them that we should mention that Leo told us to talk to him. I'm not sure if that will be a help or a hindrance but if nothing else it will be an introduction. We have been in the Key West area before arriving by car and are looking forward to a return visit. Fantasy Fest is past as is Key West Race Week so things should be relatively calm, but it is the high snowbird season so there'll be lots of cruisers on the water and the area is usually well enough odd to be interesting even in slow times.

Today we made the foray into the wilds of Busch Gardens, another theme park but closer than Orlando's collection of similar places. Busch Gardens is a great place and I'd be hard pressed to suggest which of the parks that we've been to first we'd say was our preference. Universal was larger and had a greater variety of rides and events to go to but Busch had a really well laid out zoo to tour through including feed the animal spots and up close and personal with giraffes, lions and zebra herds. When we arrived I discovered that with my military ID I could get in for free and bring in three dependents. Score! With those savings we got a "quickie pass" which for a few extra dollars allows us to go to the head of the line. Normally we wouldn't have bothered but since the entrance fee had been waived we decided to spurge. When we first went through the gates we got a great lecture on the American Alligator and learned a few things that I didn't know before. For instance, they stop eating in the cooler weather in October and won't get back to their full appetite until the following summer. That's one hell of a fast, but they're not really hungry since they slow their metabolism right down. Also, if you come across an alligator larger than 9', it's a male or bull 'gator as females only grow to 9' max. We then took the Serengeti Express for a ride around the wildlife preserve. The engine pulling the passenger cars was an actual steam engine from Africa! Pretty neat, eh? We then proceeded to ride on virtually every ride that we could get into. There were multiple roller coaster rides of a variety of types including the longest wooden coaster that I have ever been on and one that starts off with a 185' vertical drop and I do mean vertical, totally perpendicular to the ground. I didn't go on that one but Chris and Taunya did. Taunya, it turns out, is a roller coaster freak, loving every second and the adrenaline rush that comes with the ride. Chris got off the vertical drop a little wobbly in the knees. Barb and I went on all of the water related rides including one in which we were joined by an older couple who were dressed to the nines looking like they were going out to a club or something and who I don't think had any idea of what they were letting themselves in for. At the end of the ride they and all the rest of us were soaked clear through. He was a little pissed off but she was talking about entering a wet T-Shirt contest. Pretty cool old babe. I would have liked to have met her when she was 30 years younger.

For the first time in my life I won a stuffed animal for the lady I was with. Fortunately it was Barb so she now has a large stuffed husky to cuddle up to in the boat.

At the end of the day we had a late lunch at the Crown Colony and then I got suckered in to having the final ride on a suspension roller coaster with Taunya. Chris couldn't go another, pleading his tummy after having eaten a seafood medley and drunk a beer. I, having only eaten a salad was elected. You know what a suspension roller coaster is, don't you? Those are the ones that you sit in a sort of saddle and you feet are hanging in space. This didn't really strike me until we got to the top of the first lift and we were launched into the ride and there was nothing between my sandals and dirt but about 200' of nice clean Florida air. Wheeeeeeeee!

Our final thing was a really well done stage show, a la Lion King, in one of the theatres in the park. Most of the old folk sat on their hands so I was disappointed for the performers who were really excellent, when it came to the occasions for applause.

Then back to Nelleke with a quick stop at the West Marine store and a Winn-Dixie's. Great day all around.

From Barb - Well, I can't believe that I submitted myself to the rides that I went on today - unlike Taunya I do not enjoy the roller coasters - no, no, not one iota! I went on three of the water rides and after Chris badgered me I gave in and went on the Gwazi - a really large wooden rollercoaster - the only reason that I went on that was because it did not dump you upside down - I had my eyes squeezed shut the whole time just praying for it to be over, my head kept bouncing sideways against Mike's shoulder - ohhhhhh, so much fun - yeah, right! Never again, I don't want any more gut-wrenching anticipation. The highlights of the day were seeing all of the wonderful animals and feeding the lorikeets. I'd definitely choose Busch Gardens over Universal Studios any day.

Comments