Nemesis - Sydney Harbour Racing

13 July 2013 | The Taylor pad, Surry Hills
07 July 2013 | Sydney Harbor
30 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
23 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
16 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
02 June 2013 | Sydney Harbor
26 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
23 May 2013 | CYCA Board Room
19 May 2013 | Sydney Harbor
08 July 2012 | Sydney Harbor
02 July 2012 | Sydney Harbor
24 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
17 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
03 June 2012 | Sydney Harbor
27 May 2012 | Sydney Harbor
20 May 2012 | Sydney Harbor
13 May 2012 | Sydney Harbour
06 May 2012 | Sydney Harbour

Puppies - First weekend away

17 July 2011 | Surry Hills
jT
So here are Bella, the sweet yet NAUGHTY Beagle, and Wilson, the oh so innocent looking Jack Russell. Poor shoes were wet from the rain and our puppy sitter cum foredeck crew cum fashion plate dresser Olivia made the mistake of leaving them on the ground.... ahhhh, the fun of puppies!

Thanksgiving Dinner

27 November 2008 | Portland, Oregon
KB, Bloody Freezing
We spent Thanksgiving in Portland, Oregon at Tracy and Chris's house (Jeff's sister and brother in law), along with Gary and Eva (Jeff's parents). Thanksgiving is Jeff's favourite holiday and this year Tracy and Chris had warned us they were not doing a traditional turkey dinner, we were going to have an 8 course Italian dinner (feast) instead - sounds good to me! We had a yummy traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner the Sunday before at Gary and Eva's so we didn't miss out on that either.

We weren't disappointed, Tracy and Chris are both excellent cooks and they obviously spent a huge amount of time planning and preparing dinner for us. We had the meal over about 5 hours, so lots of time to rest in between courses and enjoy the vino! Gary was not so sure about one of the desert wines that was a little past its prime... maybe you should have stopped at the first glass!

Thanks Tracy and Chris for an amazing dinner - we both enjoyed it enormously.

Tequila and the Red Cabbage Restaurant

02 November 2008 | Tequila, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Kirsty
We arrived into Puerto Vallarta after a very quick 28 hour downwind sail from Mazatlan. Its very comfortable for us in PV, this is where we started out trip 3 months ago. Its amazing to think back and see how much we have seen, done and learnt about Nemesis already. We have discovered that living and sailing a boat full time puts a lot of pressure on the boat systems - but we are coming out the other end of the "will things ever stop breaking" tunnel. Of course we know it never really ends, but its much easier for us to work out whats going on and fix things these days. Nemesis looks great!

One the main reasons for our stop back into Puerto Vallarta was to head inland to Tequila and check out the town where Tequila is from. We have been drinking lots of Tequila on this trip - it is Mexico... mainly in Margaritas - my new favourite drink. We hired a car for a couple of days, it worked out cheaper than taking the bus and meant that we could explore a little as well.

The night before we headed off to Tequila we had dinner at a PV restaurant called the Red Cabbage, on a recommendation from other cruisers - thanks Paula and Tim for the tip it was definately worth it! We jumped on a bus from Marina Vallarta into the old town and walked the rest of the way. We had been warned that it was hard to find and it was, but it gave us a chance to explore some of old PV a little more. The restaurant is tucked into a residental area next to a river, a very pretty setting. It was Halloween night and the local Mexican kids were dressed up and collecting candy. The food was amazing, gourmet Mexican they call it. Jeff had Fridas Dinner (Frida is very famous here - you see her image everywhere), which is a set menu and I ordered off the menu. The highlight for both of us was the Mole, we've been looking for an authentic Mexican Mole and it was amazing.

The drive out to Tequila was scenic, winding through a mountain range for most of the way. Tequila is a great little town - we stayed in a beautiful little hotel in the centre of town and it was Dia Los Muertos - Day of the Dead, which is a two day celebration of the dead, where Mexicans remember family members that are no longer with them. It sounds a little morbid but its looked on as a celebration for the locals. We did of tour of the Jose Curveo distillery, it was a highlight of the trip. It included the cellar that was exclusively for the use of the Cuervo family until about 10 years ago when they opened it to the public and started selling a limited amount each year. The cellar was very similar to a wine cellar and we treated to a sample of the Reserva Familar Tequila from the barrel - it was very smooth, slightly peppery and is sipped similar to Brandy. Yummy, Tequila can taste great if you get a good bottle - nothing like the throat burners we usually get in Australia.

On the drive back to PV we stopped a road side stall and bought a pottery tortilla holder and a tortilla press. We are perfecting our own tortillas so we dont miss them once we leave Mexico. We did a final detour just before we got back to PV to La Cruz and stopped at Jorge Tacos for dinner - Jeffs favourite tacos in Mexico yet - we couldnt miss the opportunity to have them before we left PV.

Scooter Trip into the Canyon

27 October 2008 | Cooper Canyon, Mexico
KB
One of the vistas we were treated to on our Scooter ride from the top of the Canyon to the bottom...

The Canyon Rim

27 October 2008 | Divisadero, Copper Canyon, Mexico
KB
Top of the world! View from the rim of the Canyon at 8000 feet / 2400 meters.

View from the Train

27 October 2008 | Copper Canyon, Mexico
KB
Amazing scenery all around - this waterfall flashed past us while we were hanging out the open windows between train carriages.
Vessel Name: Nemesis
Vessel Make/Model: C&C 41
Hailing Port: K&J: Sydney, Australia - Nemesis: Chico, California
Crew: Jeff & Kirsty
About:
We now have the South Pacific trip behind us. What a glorious year and a half. We averaged 5.5 knots on our ~12,000 mile voyage. We made landfall into Australia at Bundaberg. [...]
Extra:
Kirsty and I got engaged in March and were married in November... Bought a house in Surry Hills AND prepping for the 2010 Sydney Hobart race! Trust me, never take on these three things in the same year! This year racing will be quite different, now we aren't living on the boat and can actually [...]
Nemesis's Photos - Main
Nemesis and her quest to contend the 2010 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race
1 Photo
Created 11 October 2010
Photos from French Polynesia
28 Photos
Created 25 May 2009
Galapagos
21 Photos
Created 31 March 2009
All the stuff we eat, make, cook or consume that is photogenic
No Photos
Created 28 March 2009
24 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
26 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
Sights of Plants, flowers, trees and such
7 Photos
Created 16 February 2009
The ones that DIDN'T get away :)
11 Photos
Created 31 January 2009
If you love Pina Coladas... or just perfect sunsets!
14 Photos
Created 31 January 2009
Nemesis Photos
10 Photos
Created 31 January 2009