Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Palm Coast

30 April 2015
Judy
April 30

Woke up in Mosquito Lagoon after a surprisingly peaceful sleep. Dave and Don started the day with morning aerobics hauling and de-weeding the anchor. The mirror flat water reflected the dawning day, going to be a good one! Of course as the day progressed the wind kicked up (right on the nose) and conditions outside remained lumpy so we bypassed Ponce De Leon Inlet in favor of another day on the calmer ICW. Of course once we were on our way another cruiser informed us that the Main St Bridge was down until further notice. Luckily it was back up and functional by the time we arrived there. Daytona was larger and populated with more ridges than I remembered. Other than dolphin and water bird sightings it was an OK day on the water. Once we got closer to the Matanzas River section the scenery started to pop with deer strolling back yard river side gardens, grazing like they were home. As much as the first few delighted us, it was the pair of new born fawns nestled in amongst the tall grass with parents grazing a short distance away that captured our hearts. From the the evening just got better. The homes along the river were beautiful with interesting river side gardens. The winding river was full of osprey, heron, ibis and pelicans, and dolphin. Two tall trees full of roosting herons caught our eyes. Fun, fun.

The Palm Coast Marina, our intended dockage for the evening, was down a side channel, leaving the captain just enough room to turn around before a fellow cruiser caught our lines, the marina being closed for the day. We were lucky enough to spend the night on the fuel dock with access to the pump out. The marina opens at 7:00 am, leaving us ample time for an early start.

Our welcoming committee consisted of a large manatee who swam up and rested his chin on the transom, begging for a scratch on his whiskered snout. My heart melted. Wishing I didn't have to choose between getting so close to the magnificent mammal or running for the camera. By the Dave got there with his the manatee had swum under the boat to cruise along the docks. Our greeter Neil gave us the all important keys to the facilities and directions to the European Village, a ten minute walk up the road. We had eaten dinner along the way so struck out for a much needed walk and hopeful of finding an ice cream. The walk was lovely and we ate our cones in a charming park with a duo playing classic rock in a bandstand surrounded by fountains at the center of a triangular 'village' bordered by brick walks with shops and eateries on the ground level and two floors of iron clad balconies looking down. People were sitting on their balconies listening and enjoying the enchanting evening while children ran and tumbled on the lawns. Our walk back along the winding path at twilight capped off the evening.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013