Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Bath

31 October 2015
Judy
0/29 - 10/31/2015
We departed for Bath at 9:30, waiting for Bay Breezin to fuel up and pump out. It was a beautiful day! We sailed down the Pungo River until the corner then motor sailed the rest of the way down the Pungo, across the Pamlico Sound, then down the Pamlico River, dead into the wind. Bay Breezin detoured off to the right and tied up to a private dock reserved just for them. We continued on to the Free Town, pulling in just behind another sail boat who had passed us on the creek. The amicable sailor took our lines and we berthed on the T head, stationary for the next couple days. Becky and Robert from S/V SeaQuell were a welcome sight. They were a bit delayed as they had helped dock Bay Breezin and had a couple block walk to get to us. After catching up Becky and Robert headed home to get ready for a dinner engagement and Carl and Melissa came over on a borrowed golf cart to bring us to Blackbeard's Ices and Slices pizza parlor for dinner. We sat on the back deck overlooking Bath Creek. Another beautiful evening! The next day Becky's sister Connie took the girls shopping and on a tour of little Washington. We had not been in several years since we left Carolina Wind and started docking Nemo in Virginia. The waterfront looked prosperous. Stopping at the Sunbeam Bakery Store brought back memories of shopping in one just like it with my Mom, many years ago. West Marine for Melissa who was shopping for an anchor, having dragged anchor one night just off the Albermarle Sound. Luckily they had one in stock and Becky made room in the back. Our stop at the Food Lion had us packing bags of groceries around the anchor. Back at Connie's house we managed to pack it all on the golf cart for distribution. Provisions for three boats made for a packed cart! Next the girls helped Connie decorate the front yard for their Halloween party tomorrow evening while Don helped Carl sort out his auto pilot and Robert worked. Dinner that evening was a town wide Halloween party at a magnificent private home right on the water. The home had been a bed and breakfast at one point in time and the entire back wall was glass. With a full length front porch and one that actually went around the corner on the back, the house was made for living. Sweeping views of the river dominated every room in the house. The owner told me he and his wife had spent twenty five years collecting the mostly English antiques that graced the stately home. Add to that tables laden with food and an entire town turned out in costume and it made for a magical evening. Bath has to be one of the friendliest towns in the country. The towns people have certainly embraced us with open arms. A walk to the post office the next morning was welcome. I mailed out to my granddaughter the mermaid tail afghan I had completed on the drive and sail south. All that sitting lends plenty of time for crocheting. Taking advantage of the post office I also mailed cards to our daughter and son who have birthdays in the middle of the month. Not sure when we might get the chance again, I wanted to be covered. Hitting Family Dollar, we then took the highway back to town, stopping at the Visitors Center. They showed us a 15 minute film on the history of the town, very interesting. A short stroll and we were back at the dock. Don went to retrieve shrimp and scallops that Rick had procured for us, fresh off the boat while I peeled apples for a crumble to bring to the party tonight and here we are, catching up on the blog. I am off to sew up a slight rip in Becky's granddaughters costume before the evenings festivities.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013