Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

The story begins.

13 November 2012 | Charleston, SC
Judy / A dark and stormy night.
Don started this blog awhile ago but we haven't found time to begin it. Tonight, holed up on the boat with the wind howling and waves tossing the floating docks we are tied to, seems as good a time as any. It's nice and cozy on the boat.

Nemo came about when Don started thinking he'd like to learn to sail. That led to researching and looking at boats. The plan was to get a small boat and learn to sail that and one day get a larger one. With the wonders of the internet the boat of his dreams showed up at a bargain price. Sooo, we got the bigger boat and have spent the last 2 years learning to sail and outfitting our 22 year old boat. Our weeks on the boat were punctuated by provisioning for a couple weeks, cleaning, boat projects, learning to sail it, packing up and repeating on a monthly basis.

Along the way we have met some fabulous people and had some pretty awesome experiences. First and foremost were Robert and Becky. Returning to the dock (I still dislike docking but am no longer petrified of it) it was heaven to see Roberts smiling face, ready with a helping hand and always encouraging words. Becky, with her friendly nature helped us settle into life on the docks. Robert and Becky became full time live-aboards the same year we aquired Nemo, so they were usually the first people we saw upon arrival at the marina. Michael and Jane were also a helpful support system. The list goes on and on. Always new people to meet and experiences to be had.

Our first year and a half were spent on the Pamlico River. We recently moved north to Urbanna, VA, near the Cheasapeake Bay. Robert and Beaky made the trip with us (in their catamaran) up through the Dismal Swamp. Great trip. Recently both boats made the trip back south to Morehead City Yacht Basin. We left Robert and Becky in Morehead City and started our trip south to Florida. They won't be far behind though.

So, we are getting closer to possibly keeping up with this blog.

We left through the Beaufort Inlet last Friday and sailed (motorsailed mostly) to Georgetown, SC. A mostly uneventful trip. Don and I did 2-3 hour watches through the night. The ocean was like glass and unfortunately there was little wind. But the crescent moon, venus, and stars reflecting off the ocean took my breath away. My old friend Orion was high in the sky along with the Big Dipper.

Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013