Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Berry Islands

09 February 2013 | Great Harbor Cay Marina
Judy / calm, peaceful
Coming across the Northwest Providence Channel did not prove as smooth a passage as crossing the gulf-stream. We were tossed about pretty good, almost as much as our last night at anchor in Slaughter Harbor, between Little Stirrup Cay and Big Stirrup Cay. One of the reasons we are spending a couple days tied up here.

Our first night at anchor was fairly peaceful, if a bit windy. We were able to get some much needed rest and enjoy the beautiful turquoise waters. Don dove down to check that the anchor was dug in good. We took the dingy across the sand flats to explore Big Stirrup Cay and wound up walking it over the shallows. Found our first conch, too bad it was only 5 inches, too small to keep. We tried going around the ocean side of the cay, but the wind picked up again and we headed back to Nemo, getting soaked along the way.

Our peaceful anchorage sat between Norwegian And Carnival Cruise Lines drop off points, each having it's own private beach complete with jet skis and parasailing. Wednesday was busy, Thursday was quiet, by Friday the ships were back. We pulled out just as they were unloading their tenders onto the beaches.

We hadn't even finished docking here before we were invited to the Saturday evening potluck. Wonderful group of cruisers. We met folks from Jersey, Maine, Colorado, Ontario...all over really. It's always nice to hear cruising stories and begin new friendships. Fresh conch fritters and jambalaya for dinner was also wonderful.

We hear the lobsters here are huge, and just over in the bay, that's where we are headed tomorrow to try out some spear fishing. Can't wait to check out the beach either, wonder what kind of shells I'll find.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013