Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

The Round About Adventure Continues

02 March 2013 | Eleuthera
Judy / rainy, chilly morning
2/26 Pulled mooring at 8:15am for a very fast rocky sail across the Exuma Sound. Almost didn't throw the lines in as it was so rocky, but couldn't go over deep water without trying. The thrill of landing my first dolphin fish almost took the sea sickness away. Don deserves a medal for cleaning it under way without loosing the fish or himself overboard! We ended up with 8 servings. Arrival time at Cape Eleuthera marina was 2:30 pm. Interesting fact for Dad, this marina was built by the owner of the Orlando Magic basketball team, Rich DeVos. And a wonderful respite it was, with friendly staff, clean rest rooms, showers and laundry facilities.

2/27 After a leisurely morning we sailed down the coast to South Palmetto Point and entered the abandoned Runaway Bay Marina. According to the guidebook the Dolce Vito restaurant up the hill suggested that you could still tie up at the docks without any amenities. Not much left except a sunken sailboat and foundation of the former marina. The Dolce Vito had changed names and was currently closed. Short walk down the road and we ran into a couple just returning to their rental cottage, they were from Boston and she sported a pink Red Socks hat. Chatted with them a bit, they had rented in the Exumas the previous 30 years but felt it was now getting crowded. Our evening meal of mahi mahi was perfect with the setting sun in our private marina.

2/28 A 9:00 am departure brought us over rough seas to motor sail with the wind on our nose once again. We moored at Hatchet Bay by 3:45 pm for a good nights rest. The scenery was not impressive and reports of thefts kept us wondering if it was a good choice, but with anchoring possibilities limited outside of the bay we locked up and stayed.

3/1 Chatting with a fellow cruiser in the morning helped allay our fears. He had bought property just up the road and was about to begin building his retirement house on the island, said it was the safest are he'd come across in the Bahamas. With Alice Town to explore we decided to stay another day. Walking about town we found the grocery store and picked up fresh fruits and veggies, along with local coconut and pumpkin breads, at reasonable prices. We also stocked up on ginger beer in anticipation of Robert and Becky's visit later this month. Strolling the streets brought us up and over hills, passing many started but unfinished buildings, leaving us wondering at their stories. With the groceries becoming heavy, we decided to head to Twin Brothers restaurant for lunch. Our luck, owing to a small kitchen fire they were closed and would reopen tomorrow. We happened upon a group of cruisers who had thought The Front Porch was also closed, leaving us with Da Spot. Joining the group we lined up for their two choices, curried chicken or barbecued ribs. The food was substantial if not exactly gourmet. The price was right at $5.00 per plate. The cold beer and congenial company was delightful. Our path to the dingy passed The Front Porch, set on a steep hill with the stairs passing through a flower garden called to us. With the deck overlooking the bay and full of patrons, we entered to explore the small gift shop filled with local crafts. A couple by the stairs stopped me when we were leaving to enquire about my Oqunquit, ME cap. They were sailors from northern Maine, so we swapped stories with them until their meals arrived (I coveted his rock crab, they looked yummy). We hadn't made the stairs when another cruiser invited us to the cruisers gazebo for happy hour at 4:30. Imagine our surprise when we dinged over to find a large, new gazebo set out on the bay with picnic tables built in to hold the requisite snacks. Live music and a crowd of twenty or so cruisers made for another lovely, if chilly, evening. One young couple from Boston were sailing with their three year old and six month old sons. When asked how they did it, she replied that he single handed the boat while she single parented. Amazing.

3/2 With the latest 'norther' moving up, we opted to stay in our snug little bay a couple more days, and with the chilly, drizzly day we are catching up on boat chores. Ran the generator for an hour and half, only the second time since leaving Stuart. Don is trying a new antennae for his single side band receiver that didn't want to work with the supplied one.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013