Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Marathon to Bahia Honda State Park

28 February 2015
Judy
Feb 14
Don and Carl retrieved all three anchors and after untying lines, Nemo floated out of the fairway sideways. She does not maneuver well under less than full throttle, so I stood ready with the boat pole, but it was not needed this time. Perceptions followed and we were off to Bahia Honda to meet up with Robert and Becky in their newly acquired Elvie (land vessel). Hoisting the head sail only we made impressive time without the motor until we snagged a crab pot and slowed right down. Don, garbed in his wetsuit, tied a line around his middle and braved the choppy waters to untangle us, all while we were bobbing along. Luckily he climbed back aboard without incident and we were once again on our way, this time motoring as we were almost there. After setting anchors we had a dingy visit from Charlie on S/V Half Moon. He was on an extended voyage from Michigan, headed to tropical waters, an adventure of a lifetime.
Dingied over a mile to the marina just in time to meet Robert, Becky and Maggie. They drove us to Stock Island in Elvie and we caught up along they way. Carl and Don checked in at the office then we toured the marina, pleasantly surprised at the new facility that was to be our home for a month. Traffic had made for a long trip, thankfully it had let up some for the return trip. We stopped at a little Cuban diner for dinner and had great meals. The sun was setting as we climbed aboard dingys and waved goodby to good friends. Managed to get some good silhouettes of Carl and Melissa against the twilit sky. Luckily there was enough light to see our boats as neither of us had anchor lights or even flashlights, not expecting to be gone so long. Lesson learned, always prepare for the unexpected!

Feb 15
Melissa and I had a lovely long walk on the beach, finding many shells along the way. Back on Nemo the long day caught up to us and Don and I took naps. Later that night while holding the flashlight so Don could secure the dingy I was continually distracted by the small fish and bioluminescence of tiny shrimp. Needless to say, Don completed his task in half light, lol. The small fish were being chased by larger fish so out came the net. Don was coaxed to hold the flashlight to no avail, either the fish were too smart or I was too slow! There sure were a lot of swarming fish, incredible to see as were the brilliant stars overhead. Too bad it was so cold! Early night.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013