Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Leaving Loggerhead Marina

29 April 2015
Judy
April 28, 2015

Nemo is on the move again! After an all too short visit we are motoring on the ICW, trying to get as far north as daylight allows. A rather large storm crossing the Orlando area is keeping us in 'the ditch'. We sincerely hope it is a fast moving front, however we are prepared with the side curtains to keep us snug and dry. Right now it is a beautiful morning on the St. Lucie River, cooled down nicely from yesterday's 90+ heat.

We rolled into town Sunday around 5:30, hooked up all systems to cool down the 'oven' Nemo had become in the unseasonal heat and turned on the fridge and freezer for provisioning before meeting our friend Becky for dinner. After catching up on their adventures and swapping info on our trips north (they will be slightly behind us due to Robert's work schedule) we headed off to find the nearest Publix for food for the trip. It is always a balancing act, not knowing exactly what the weather will allow us to do and not wanting too much left over. We were hoping for a weather window to sail up the coast as we have cousin Dave along to help with night watches. The difference in time could save a week or so as apposed to motoring and dodging bridges along the ICW. Besides sailing is the preferred method of transportation, not to mention the opportunity for augmenting the food budget with a nice fish or two.

Monday found me cooking for the trip and Don and Dave replacing a steaming light that had burned out on our sail up from the Keys, along with various other chores. Then it was off for a lunch date at my parents house and another all too short visit before Don jumped in the water to check the prop and clean the bottom. He cleaned one side before a jellyfish caught up with him and he decided that was enough! He found the reason the fish finder stopped working, it must have been torn off when we snagged a crab pot off Marathon. All that remained was the fiberglass cone and wires. We donned bathing suits and headed for the hot tub at the club house, hoping to also grab a burger at the grill. We were denied both as the grill was closed and lightning started flashing just as we approached. Luckily the coffee was hot in the captains lounge so we watched the news of the riots in Annapolis while we waited for the storm to pass. It was getting late when the lightening stopped flashing. Rain still fell as we took a quick hot tub and I swam one length of the pool before showers and back to the boat. Peanut butter sandwiches and popcorn for dinner. One last look at the weather and bed!

Tuesday dawned calm as could be, made for a lovely undocking. The sky was tinged with light and Stuart Bridge was lit up beautifully as we sailed off into the sunrise. The calm before the storm! We were just above the Jensen Beach Bridge when the skies darkened ominously. Taking preventive measures we zipped on the side panels, pulled off the ICW and dropped anchor. We watched the storm roll across just north of us for 20 minutes before the rain hit. It only lasted ten minutes and we up anchored and were on our way again. Our next storm stop was just south of Fort Pierce causing a two hour delay. Don got wet setting the anchor on this one. Having gone through the white out at Fernandina Beach on the way south we were being cautious, besides we did not want to scare the crew off before exiting Florida! Dave and I got in naps while Don read. After the storm passed the river was fairly quiet. We motor sailed until 8:00 pm, just past our intended anchorage as the only other boat on the river was anchored there. A quiet night ensured a great nights sleep.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013