Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Mosquito Lagoon

29 April 2015
Judy/ clouds of all shapes and sizes
April 29

What a difference a storm makes! Writing this at 8:30 am as a cool wind breezes through the cockpit. Of course the angle of that wind keeps shifting making for tricky motor sailing with the genoa. Dave received lessons on pulling in the anchor, including detaching the bridle, following last nights lesson on deploying said anchor. We all had a good laugh when a cormorant scrambled out from under the side of Nemo, having surfaced in the wrong spot! Cloudy day for sure, we just hope the storms hold off.

Dolphin sightings continue throughout the day, breaking up the monotony of long distance river travel. The wind stayed pretty close to 90 degrees and 10 knots off our port side, helping power us along. The promised storms have not materialized and the blue sky is amass with variable cloud forms. Lovely day with the steady breeze. A day for reading, watching gulls, pelicans, cormorants, sailboats, NASA, and riverside towns pass by. Don introduced Dave to Soduko, keeping him busy for many miles.

The trip through the Haulover Canal was awesome! Started with osprey sitting in the casuarina trees lining the canal, almost at eye level and so close. Then came the manatee sightings! The first two we spotted we weren't sure if it was dolphin, rays or sharks. Getting closer we saw there were two smaller manatee rolling around together at the surface, tails and fins showing alternately. It was adorable seeing them play like that. We crawled through the canal, spotting manatee after manatee, 6 or 7 in all. We ended up anchoring pretty much in open water just off the ICW since we did not want to stop at our first choice (having arrived there at 3:00 pm). Just as Dave dropped the anchor at 6:00 pm the wind gusted to 20 knots and the waves kicked up to two feet, a mini squall. Luckily things calmed back down by the time we finished eating our nachos. Dave was then introduced to Mexican Train Dominoes. He and I pretty much tied for the loss, no beginners luck tonight! We buttoned up as the insects started finding there way inside. We took to the deck to try and spot bait fish but no luck in the murky waters. We will have to wait for another night to try out the drop net we got after seeing the schools of bait fish at Rodriguez Key. One last look at the moon and stars and bed for us. Thank heavens the wind and waves settled down!
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013