Adventures of NEMO

23 March 2017
18 February 2016
01 December 2015
11 November 2015
03 November 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
31 October 2015
27 October 2015
27 October 2015 | Judy
26 October 2015
23 October 2015
07 May 2015
30 April 2015
29 April 2015
14 March 2015 | Key West
14 March 2015 | Stock Island and Key West

Elizabeth City

31 October 2015
Judy
10/25 - 10/26/2015
It was quite a parade motoring the last leg of the Dismal. We were fifth boat in a line of sixteen, being forced to keep the pace so the bridge tender would open the bridge, our leisurely float of the day before soon forgotten. The South Mills lock was almost full as we glided past the bridge. Usually the lock master opens the bridge then drives back to load the lock but he was aided by the Southbound Snowbird Rally coordinator today and the lock was already almost full, only room for three more mono hulls down the center. Both gentlemen kindly requested that non members of the rally pull over to the bulkhead and let rally participants fill the lock first. The rally participants ahead of us seemed hesitant to fill the void and pulled over and as the lock master was asking to finish filling the lock we motored ahead and rafted up, squished in a very full lock. There would be two openings this morning to accommodate the more than thirty boats that had congregated this fine day. We were two days behind another rally so the water ways were busy. Being ahead of the pack and realizing we would be finding an anchorage in the dark if we pushed on across the Albermarle Sound, we elected to take advantage of the free docks in Elizabeth City. Gus was there to take our lines and he was pleased I remembered him from a previous trip. Gus is the unofficial ambassador to Elizabeth City and loves to tell the story of the Rose Buddies who greeted mariners with snacks and passed roses to all the ladies. They still carry on the tradition when large groups come, but only on weekdays. Showers were also only available on weekdays, bummer. We had a lovely lunch at a waterfront restaurant then strolled Main St, marveling at all the huge Victorian houses. Most were in good repair, but there were a few interspersed that really needed some TLC. After walking six blocks we headed past the huge church cross town for an alternate route back to the water front. After getting directions from Gus, I packed up our laundry and headed out past the Museum of the Albermarle to find the laundromat. Not finding it across from CVS, I crossed the busy double lane and checked the side street across from that establishment. Only finding a funeral parlor there I retraced my steps and walked on by, smelling the scent of detergent on the air. There it was, across from Taco Bell. I recrossed the double lane highway and hesitated before entering, the place looking not very inviting. Inside wasn't any better. The need for clean clothes took over and I waded through over half the non functioning machines before finding two that worked. After loading all into the huge barrel dryer I was dismayed to here sounds of an altercation and raucous laughter coming from the far corner. Getting ready to bolt, I noticed the video game that had suddenly sprung to life, emitting the scary sounds. Feeling better that it was still one elderly lady and myself occupying the establishment, I settled into a chair to read the Civil War flyer I had taken from the waterfront kiosk, marveling at the rich history from both the Civil War and War for Independence that permeates the area. After folding the clothes into the plastic trolley I bought at the Christmas Tree Shop I was off to CVS for a few more essentials, pulling my load behind me. I tied my plastic bags of groceries to the handle of the trolley, making it cumbersome to pull and trudged back the three blocks to the waterfront.
Comments
Vessel Name: NEMO
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter Passage 42
Hailing Port: Washington, NC
Crew: Don & Judy
NEMO's Photos - Main
Pictures from our 2016 trip to the Abaco Cays in the Bahamas.
2 Photos
Created 18 February 2016
Along the ICW down the Atlantic coast.
No Photos
Created 11 November 2015
No Photos
Created 28 February 2015
Our first time sailing around the Bahamas Islands.
18 Photos
Created 6 February 2013