Neverbored

Catch up

23 April 2012 | BVI's
hot/sunny ,30 degrees
So what have we been doing for the past few days? We went on to Saltpond next where we got to snorkel and hike, enjoy the beach but not the no seeums after six o'clock, the beach emptied quickly. The next morning we left for Coral Harbour and went in to check out the community,Love City it is called, first it is not a city, but a very small village with a few stores and restaurants,gift shops too! Very nice to see and funny to see the donkeys walking down the center of the street. We hauled anchor later in the afternoon and sailed to Water Lemon Cay. What a beautiful spot! We hooked on the mooring ball just before sundown. Ann & Ed and their Guests joyed us on our boat for sundowners. The next day we were up and Chris decided to clean the bottom of the boat since the water was nice and clear, we then later went snorkeling. The Waterlemon cay area was great snorkeling. In the charts the cay is called Water lemon, in the guide books it is called Watermelon, go figure.
We hiked to the Annaberg Plantation, then on to see Francais bay which is another great spot. great trails all the way from Waterlemon to Francais bay.
The Annaberg Plantation, as of 1780, was one of 25 active sugar producing factories on St. John. Other products produced at Annaberg were molasses and rum. Annaberg was named after William Gottschalk's daughter and translates to Anna's Hill. Gottschalk was the plantation owner. Slave labor was used to clear densely forested hillsides and to terrace the slopes around Annaberg to make farming possible. Slave labor was also used to plant, harvest and process the sugarcane. When slavery was abolished, plantations were divided. The 518 acres that were once Annaberg Plantation were divided into smaller farms.
Today the plantation ruins are protected by the Virgin Islands National Park and are open to the public. Trees have reclaimed the hillsides around Annaberg. A trail leads through factory ruins, slave quarters, windmill and other remains. Placards and signs along the trails describe how sugar was produced and discuss plantation life and the history behind sugar plantations on St. John and in particular Annaberg. Photos to be added later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Neverbored
Vessel Make/Model: Admiral 40
Hailing Port: Canso, Nova Scotia Canada
Crew: Chris & Sheila
About:
recently updated:Chris started sailing in his late teens, his first 'sailing vessel' an 11ft Sea Snark. Sheila learned to sail with Chris on a 31 ft Catalina, many years later. [...]
Neverbored's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 19 August 2016
12 Photos
Created 23 July 2013

Neverbored

Who: Chris & Sheila
Port: Canso, Nova Scotia Canada

Our Current Position