Neverland Journey

Adventures since 2011

Anchored at Palaikhora

We visited the coast guard for clearance to leave the port at Kissamos. We filled up jugs to top of water tank. We were down to a 1/4 tank and topped up to 3/4.
Winds were light as we left at 9:30 am. We decided to do some drills. We reefed the main at two reefing points. We were so thrilled when it was so easy. With the new track in the mast and new slugs on the main it slides up and down without any effort. The new lazy jacks make it so simple too.
Rounding the corner and sailing down the west coast of Crete we had to be under motor power most of the way. We were straight down wind and the waves were 3 to 5 foot swells. The coast is beautiful and rugged. We passed Elafonisos Island around 3:45 pm. It is supposed to be the best beach on Crete-hard to tell from our vantage point. We were visited by a kite surfer. She came right up to our boat. She was amazing! We anchored off the beach of Palaiokhora. The crazy thing about the names of these places is our chart from Britain has one spelling and our guide books from the US have another spelling! The poor Cretans must wonder how we foreigners can butcher their town names so much. We rode the dingy into town. What a fabulous little tourist town. Great shops, restaurants, and street entertainment. We made it back to the boat by 11pm. Writing the blog now then bed and up early for another long day.

Comments