Night Hawk

28 March 2012 | 26 29.88'N
20 January 2012
18 December 2011
30 November 2011 |
17 March 2011
08 March 2011
11 February 2011
29 January 2011
30 December 2010
23 December 2010
15 December 2010
21 November 2010 | 27 11.82N 80 15.74W
21 August 2010
21 April 2010
27 March 2010
21 March 2010
09 February 2010
22 December 2009
07 December 2009

Heading South

21 November 2010 | 27 11.82N 80 15.74W
Novermber 1, 2010

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale Florida on November 1 around midnight. We had a car booked and arrangements made at the Fountain Resort to arrive there at 3am. The manager was to leave the door open to our room, so we would not bother anyone. We arrived and the door was locked (of course). We went to the "managers" quarters and knocked on the door - no answer, wondered around a little then knocked on the door again, - no answer, then knocked a third time - no answer. We decided it was close to 4am now, so we would just curl up in the car and wait until morning. All of a sudden two police cars arrive - yes they were looking for us. The manager had rented out his room to someone else and they called the police on those annoying people knocking on their door. The manager finally came out and all was settled with a few laughs and we made it to our room. Welcome to Florida.
We arrived in Florida with really bad colds we brought from home, so the first few days we did not accomplish much.
We did the usual boat preparations and were ready to launch on Wednesday, November 10. We met our usual Canadian friends in the boat yard and had a few dinners together. We met Dee and Ed on Sea Fox X (Ontario), Warren and Diane on No Justice, LaHave River, NS, and Laurie and Francis on Glory Days, LaHave River, NS.
We said goodbye to the Canadians and moved up to Vero Beach to raft up with Fine Lion and Sapphire. We did a lot of provisioning in Vero Beach as they have a free bus service that is just great for getting us to everything we need. Jim and Nancy from Solitaire bought a new house in Vero Beach and invited us, Fine Lion, Sapphire, Savage Son and a few others to their home for a pot luck dinner. We had a great time and will see them in the Bahamas later in the season.
We have moved down to Stuart Florida and are staying here for a few days, then moving down to Lake Worth to wait for a window to cross to Lacaya, then to the Berries, then down the chain hopefully to the Jumentos and the Ragged Islands. The Ragged Islands are where we left to go to Cuba two years ago - it is only 60 miles across. We are not going to Cuba this year. Stuart is a great little town. It is very historic and has many quaint shops and restaurants - a great place to stay while killing time.
We hope to leave here Monday morning then cross over on Wednesday/Thursday - Nov 24-25.
Having fun but missing our grandchildren.
Comments
Vessel Name: Night Hawk
Vessel Make/Model: CS33
Hailing Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)
Crew: Barry and Susan Wilson
About:
We have both retired from our jobs in order to make this trip. We were both born and lived in Nova Scotia until our original trip to the Bahamas in 2007. This year (2009) will be our third year down south. [...]
Extra: Like our namesake, the Night Hawk, we migrate south every fall. We hope to be somewhat like our namesake - small and determined.

Living the Life

Who: Barry and Susan Wilson
Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)