Night Hawk

28 March 2012 | 26 29.88'N
20 January 2012
18 December 2011
30 November 2011 |
17 March 2011
08 March 2011
11 February 2011
29 January 2011
30 December 2010
23 December 2010
15 December 2010
21 November 2010 | 27 11.82N 80 15.74W
21 August 2010
21 April 2010
27 March 2010
21 March 2010
09 February 2010
22 December 2009
07 December 2009

The Jumentos

18 December 2011
We met up with Sam the Skull in Sampson Cay and the next day Windrush (Bruce and Val Marshall from NS) arrived. We had a great reunion as we have not seen them since last winter. We left Sampson Cay and headed for Black Point where I got my hair cut by Ida. It would not be a trip to the Bahamas without an "Ida Do". We then moved down to White Point for the evening. Barry, John and Bruce went hunting. The next day we left to head to the Jumentos through the back way. We have never gone this way before as we were nervous of there not being enough water for us, but as it turned out the lowest we saw was 9 feet so we were quite comfortable. We stopped at Rocky Point for the evening, just so we wouldn't have a night crossing, although it would have been just fine. We arrived in Flamingo Cay the next day. We traveled with Sam the Skull as Windrush is going home for Christmas and had to go to George Town to get their flight. We stayed here for a couple of days then moved down to Racoon Cay where we stayed for a few more days. The wind is still very strong so there are only so many places to anchor in the right wind direction. We have now moved down to Hog Cay and have been here for about four days. There are great beaches to walk and the guys have been hunting and getting fish, lobster and conch. We haven't touched anything in our freezer since we got here - it is still full.
The only settlement down here is Duncan Town and it usually has a population of about 75 people on a good day. Right now there are only 30 left on the island as it is Christmas and a lot have gone to Nassau etc. The store is not operating very well as Maxine's daughter had a stroke last year and Maxine is in Nassau helping out. Her husband is still on the island but he doesn't take food orders like Maxine did, so you have to be self sufficient to be down here. The mail boat comes in three times a month, so if you are organized you can get them to bring you gas and propane. You send your jugs one week, they bring them back when they come next to the island.
There are only five boats down here so far this year. Tropical Impulse had us and Sam the Skull over for sundowners last night and it was very pleasant. They plan to have us over again tonight for cracked conch as we told them where they could get conch. I think we will all be here for Christmas as the weather is not cooperating for anyone to leave.
Happy Holidays to all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Night Hawk
Vessel Make/Model: CS33
Hailing Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)
Crew: Barry and Susan Wilson
About:
We have both retired from our jobs in order to make this trip. We were both born and lived in Nova Scotia until our original trip to the Bahamas in 2007. This year (2009) will be our third year down south. [...]
Extra: Like our namesake, the Night Hawk, we migrate south every fall. We hope to be somewhat like our namesake - small and determined.

Living the Life

Who: Barry and Susan Wilson
Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)