Night Hawk

28 March 2012 | 26 29.88'N
20 January 2012
18 December 2011
30 November 2011 |
17 March 2011
08 March 2011
11 February 2011
29 January 2011
30 December 2010
23 December 2010
15 December 2010
21 November 2010 | 27 11.82N 80 15.74W
21 August 2010
21 April 2010
27 March 2010
21 March 2010
09 February 2010
22 December 2009
07 December 2009

Living in Fresh Creek Andros

22 December 2009
check out the map and see our position
December 8, 2009
We got up early to leave today and started the engine. It was hard to turn over, but eventually started. Then we had billows of white smoke come out of the exhaust - turned it off right away and cringed. What in the world has happened now? The first thing Barry did was to check the oil, and lo and behold it was full of water. Yikes!
We got a mechanic (recommended by the dock master here) over to take a look. We discovered that the end seal on the fresh water pump was gone and water leaked back into the engine. We then took the head off the motor to check for damage etc. and found none (to the naked eye). So we ordered a new head gasket from a place we found in Texas. Our engine is a Bukh, so not every corner store has parts for it. The parts came in six days and we got the mechanic back. Welllllll (we did not know he was the local coke head - it soon became apparent). Long story short he over torqued the bolts and broke one off, therefore the new gasket was compromised and we needed a new head bolt also. Another call to Texas and a lot of "your kidding" we ordered another head gasket and bolts. We sit and wait for new parts. Talking to the mechanic in Texas who works on these motors(he had us take pictures of the old head gasket so he could analyze it) - he said we should be good to go with the new parts, but have it checked when we get back to Florida just to make sure the head is not warped. He thinks this damage was done over a long period of time and we should be good for the next four to five months.
We had a new mechanic come on board today (December 22) who comes highly recommended by all and he says he can get us back together when the parts come. This is particularly good of him as he just lost his son this week, but he said he heard about us and wants to make sure we are OK. There are some really good people in this world.
Now the good news
Everyone feels sorry for us, so we have been getting some perks. The Marina Manager (who arranged this new mechanic) has stopped charging us dockage - that is a huge savings. A local fisherman came over and gave us seven lobster tails. Donna, who works at the Marina office keeps baking us goodies. A fellow Canadian gave us his car to tour the rest of the island, which was great. We have met a couple from Canada who rent a house here and we have been having dinners back and forth with them. There are some other boats in the marina, so of course we get together for happy hours. The Marina is also a hotel and has a swimming pool, laundry, showers, internet and air conditioning. We are very, very comfortable here, but do long to cross over to the Exumas. They had a lighting of the Christmas tree in the middle of town the other day, complete with a very impressive Prison Band from Nassau - it was really great. One day we were just sitting under the Tiki hut and a group of little kids came along with their teachers. They were from a religious school up the road - and they sang Christmas songs for us - they were so cute.
We have been invited to Small Hope Bay Lodge, Andros (google it) for Christmas Dinner, so we will be looked after there. Our friends Dave and Sandy from Canada - Dave's cousin runs the resort and we had a tour of it the other day, wow it is spectacular. The Marina Gang have organized a party for Christmas Eve. There are a few more Canadians here and they will come over, plus the military base AUTEC is just down the road and a few of them are coming up to join us, so that should be a good time. There are also some lovely beaches to explore here.
That is about all we have been doing for the past few weeks, we will hopefully post some good news soon.
Merry Christmas to all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Night Hawk
Vessel Make/Model: CS33
Hailing Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)
Crew: Barry and Susan Wilson
About:
We have both retired from our jobs in order to make this trip. We were both born and lived in Nova Scotia until our original trip to the Bahamas in 2007. This year (2009) will be our third year down south. [...]
Extra: Like our namesake, the Night Hawk, we migrate south every fall. We hope to be somewhat like our namesake - small and determined.

Living the Life

Who: Barry and Susan Wilson
Port: Chilliwack British Columbia (from Mahone Bay, NS)