Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

The 90 Day Rule ... Part 2

15 November 2012 | Kettering, TAS
Marcie
We've been invited to innumerable people's homes for dinner. Absolute strangers have loaned us their cars. People have taken us under their wings, given us fruit and veggies from their gardens, gone the extra mile and made us part of their families during our stay.

In Arica, Chile, a Coast Guard petty officer let us tie up our dinghy to his launch to keep it safe. He also watched our boat while we went on an overnight inland tour. On his day off, he showed us around the city, took us to the market, carted us up to the museum and observatory at the top of El Morro headland for the most outstanding views of the port below and then brought us home for dinner. He gave David a Chilean Coast Guard cap as a memento of our meeting and friendship. All because he just wanted to get to know some Americans. We've stayed in touch.

While hauled out in Uruguay, a couple wandered through the boatyard admiring boats. They spoke only Spanish, but we communicated just fine. They were both retired physicians and now owned and managed a vineyard. Would we like to visit their vineyard? They picked us up and drove us the three hours there and back. We had a private tour of their vineyard and then a gourmet luncheon served at their bodega, sampling their fine wines. We later visited with them at their apartment in Montevideo and in Punta del Este. When we left, Martha made a special trip to the marina to bring us a case of their reserve wine. How can you repay such generosity?

Perhaps we draw more attention when we travel to places that others seldom visit. When we were leaving Uruguay for South Africa with hopes of stopping at Tristan da Cunha, a tiny, isolated South Atlantic island, we sent an email in advance asking if we could possibly bring anything that they needed. There is no airport and their only conveyance and source of supplies is by infrequent ship. We received no less than five e-mails in the next day or two. The school, the hospital, the doctor, the administrator and the communications officer all responded that nothing was needed, but we were very welcome to Tristan. If the weather allowed, we planned to stop there.

One fellow, Andy, who is still the island's communication officer, kept track of us for the entire trip with daily emails and/or radio chats. The weather cooperated and we managed to get ashore each of two days. Andy was waiting for us on the dock when we arrived. He drove us on all seven miles of paved road on the island to the Patches (local potato growing area), opened the little museum for us, took us home for lunch each day. When we left, he filled our freezer with Tristan lobsters and Tristan lamb. Our larder was full of Tristan spuds. We stay in touch to this day and would love the opportunity to return for a longer stay. Andy, by the way, knew the communications officer at St. Helena so when we stopped at this lovely island on our way back across the Atlantic, Gilbert was there to meet and greet us. Again, unbounded hospitality was shown to us. We visited parts of the island with a native Saint and saw things that off-islanders seldom see.

Our trip from South Africa to Charleston, SC was 73 days. Though we stopped at St. Helena and Ascension Islands, it was still a long, long trip to Charleston on the diagonal across the Atlantic. To put it into perspective, we left Cape Town in February and arrived in Charleston around Mother's Day. We were tired as we tied up at the Charleston Maritime Center right in the heart of downtown Charleston. We'd spent quite a bit of time here in past years and the same crew was on hand to welcome our return. We noted the marina had many empty berths and it wasn't until a few days later that we learned the Tall Ships were heading into Charleston and the marina needed to be vacated to accommodate their arrival. The entire marina...except us! An extra berth opened up and since we'd traveled for so far and so long, they made it available to us. In the midst of all of these majestic tallships, Nine of Cups, a definite “short ship” sat comfortably in her berth. We even had a staged pirate boarding of Cups to the delight of the crowd and us. What an experience!

To be continued...
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo