Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Historic Hobart

12 December 2012 | Hobart, Tasmania
Marcie
I'm usually lucky coming up with a walk or two that explores a city's nooks and crannies on foot. In Hobart, I struck the mother lode. This is a small city with lots to see and the city fathers are evidently keen on everyone taking advantage of what's available. I found lots of information on the internet about self-guided walking tours including pdf downloads with maps and descriptions of key interest points. I negotiated our play dates with the captain and chose an historical walking tour as our first on-foot foray into the city.

Hobart is the second oldest city in Australia, founded in 1803. Tied up at the Elizabeth Street Pier in Sullivans Cove on the site of the original settlement here in Hobart, we didn't have far to go to begin our tour. Founded as a penal colony, there was no dearth of free labor in Hobart. There was plenty of money from timber and whale oil and there was a large local supply of sandstone, hence the preponderance of huge sandstone buildings in the area … warehouses, government buildings, houses, mansions, walls and arches.

We headed first along the foreshore to Salamanca Place. Now upscale with boutiques and restaurants, this beautiful area is lined with Georgian-style sandstone warehouses, a solid historical reminder that this was originally the docking place for whaling and sealing boats. Tucked between two warehouses, we found the alley leading to Kelly's Steps. Built by Captain James Kelly in 1839, the steps provide a shortcut from Salamanca up to Battery Point, Hobart's oldest neighborhood.

We wandered up steep hills and down narrow streets past neat, well-preserved period cottages, their tiny front gardens overflowing with hydrangea, roses and lavender. Once in awhile magnificent views of the harbor peeked out between buildings. We walked across the tiny park at Arthur Circus, a circle of Battery Point's oldest houses … and not a clown in sight.

On Hampden Road, we saw one cottage for sale that was an absolute beauty.
“This charming cottage was built in 1840 for Angus McLeod, the Bandmaster of the Royal Scottish Fuseliers. Beautifully built from a blend of sandstone and bluestone, this timeless Georgian classic impresses from every angle.” $1.2M – this would definitely over-extend our current budget.

We stopped at The Shipwright Arms, locally known as Shippie's, for a pub lunch and a pint (more on pubs later) then consulted the map to find a chandlery David had been hankering to see (one of the negotiating points of the walk). The chandlery happens to be near the historic Mariners Cottages, so we killed two birds with one stone. These tiny cottages are believed to be the oldest remaining buildings on the site of the shipbuilding yards on Napoleon Street.

The walk looped around and took us through the Angelsea Barracks grounds. Built in 1814, Angelsea is the oldest Australian Army barracks still in use. We were free to wander the grounds and admire yet more sandstone buildings and convict-built structures. An old war memorial stands in a separate area, the only Australian war memorial ever erected by soldiers to memorialize their own. On the far side of the lawn, we were surprised to find a pillar left from a Transit of Venus study conducted in 1876 by an American expedition here.

We finished our 5 km walk at the Victoria Docks where fishing vessels berth and tie up to offload their catches. Another row of warehouses line Hunter Street just opposite the waterfront. Previously a merchants row, it subsequently was the home of Henry Jones IXL jam factory in 1891. A little trivia: the “IXL” stood for “I excel in everything I do”, Jones' personal mantra. Still produced today, this iconic jam brand is no longer made in Hobart. However, the “jam factory” building remains, now housing a 5-star hotel and lots of upscale boutiques, shops and restaurants.

Returning to the boat, we felt a bit more in touch with Hobart's historic past and David still had time to brew up his next batch of beer.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo