Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Legal for another year

04 November 2012 | Kettering, TAS
Marcie
Australian Customs have really gotten a bad rap. Maybe it was deserved some time, some place in the past. We've certainly heard several horror stories, but as for us, we've been blessed with professional, courteous, efficient Customs officers who have have taken their jobs seriously without being offensive or officious. Perhaps, we've just been lucky or there's been a change in attitude.

Customs officials worldwide are an interesting lot. Their job primarily involves dealing with folks who are entering or leaving their country and are bringing in goods. It could be just luggage. It could be a freighter full of goods for importation. It could be illegal drugs which tend to be frowned upon. It could be cruisers, who are bringing in lots of boat parts from the States. It could even be folks like us who want to extend their stay in a country with their sailboat and don't want to pay Customs duties to import the boat. Some Customs officials, like say in the Eastern Caribbean, for instance, can be officious and haughty. Some can request "gifts" in order to complete the boat paperwork correctly and in a timely manner. Here in Australia, it's by-the-book.

For those who haven't traveled to Australia with a boat, their rules are rather strict. We had to give 96 hours notice to Customs before arrival or face a stiff fine. This was pretty easy actually. We sent an email from the boat about a week before our arrival. They're flexible with dates as long as it's more than 96 hours in advance and you update them as necessary. Not every port is an official Port of Entry. We arrived in Bundaberg, Queensland last November (2011) and Customs directed us to a Quarantine dock upon arrival.

First aboard was AQIS, Australian Quarantine. They clear the boat and the crew before Immigration or Customs even steps aboard. They confiscate any fresh food or specific items that cannot be imported (e.g. honey), empty out the vacuum cleaner, check that there are no pets aboard including the creepy-crawly variety like roaches and generally inspect the boat. We had to show proof that we had anti-fouled the boat within the last six months.

Next came Immigration. Australia is one of very few countries that requires everyone (other than Kiwis) to have a visa to enter. Typically when we enter a foreign country, we receive at least a 30-90 day visa on arrival, no pre-paperwork necessary. Australia makes it easy in that you can apply for and pay for your ETA (electronic transit authority) on line, but it must be done in advance of your arrival. We got our initial visa in Fiji last year and then another one in the States to return to Tasmania in September. We applied for, paid for and received a one year visa, so we're good until September 2013.

Then Customs came aboard. They have the right to go through the boat, checking in lockers, under floorboards, exploring nooks and crannies to determine exactly what you are bringing into Australia. Sometimes they even bring sniffing dogs. We were limited as to the amount of liquor, beer, wine, cigarettes, etc., we could bring with us. It pays to be honest as if you're not and they find any discrepancy, you're in hot water. Additionally, we had to place a value on the boat because if we intended to sell it in Australia, we would have to pay import duties on it. We received clearance which allowed us to keep the boat in Australia for one year without paying any duties as long as we reported in quarterly to Customs via postcard, phone or email as to our whereabouts and intentions.

One question frequently asked is how we know what to do when arriving in a new country. Easy...I do research well in advance of our departure from our previous port. Once again, Australia makes it easy. They have a separate page on their government website specific to arrival procedures for yachts.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4360.asp

Well, here we are one year later. It's November again. We're still in Australia with no plans to leave any time in the near future and we needed to renew our Customs paperwork. We'd been good citizens, didn't get into any trouble and had duly submitted our "Control Permit Location Reports" on time each quarter. Even so, whenever you're dealing with officials in foreign countries, you tend to be a bit uneasy. Come to think of it, whenever you're dealing with officials in your own country, you can get uneasy (think IRS, police, school principals).

We stopped by the Customs Office in downtown Hobart a month ago. They said call back a week before renewal time and make an appointment to come in. Well, this was the week. I made the appointment and gave them information in advance over the phone. The Customs office is on the second floor of a government building. It has a small lobby and a counter with a push button for service. We rang the bell. An officer came out, asked our business and disappeared. Two minutes later another officer appeared and asked for our arrival paperwork. She took it, returned in another five minutes and we were good to go for another year. No fees, no hassle, no problems. I've already marked our postcards with the quarterly report dates and put them on the calendar.

The boat is now legal in Australia for another year. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, we're not sure we want to be in a country that allows the likes of us to stay. ;-)

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo