Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

66th Annual Huon Show

25 November 2012 | Kettering, TAS
Marcie
It seems that a celebration as big as a birthday should not be confined to a single day and so it was that the celebration continued. The 66th annual Huon Show was recommended to us as a “real” Tasmanian show. Americans would know it as a county fair. It was overcast, but we were still in celebration mode, so off we went to the Ranelagh show grounds near Huonville.

There was that air of expectancy and excitement as we walked past the animals being unloaded from crates, trucks and vans. All the critters were coiffed and ready to compete. We could hear the noise from the midway. The earthy aroma of manure blended with the odor of deep-fried carnival food, permeating the morning air.

I had read a short program description and we were most interested in the competitive woodchopping events. Huon pine is endemic to Tasmania and lumbering was a huge industry here when the early “piners” exploited the stands of this slow-growing, long-living, durable tree. The modern sport of woodchopping is said to have had its birth in Ulverstone, Tasmania in 1870 as the result of a £25 ($50) bet between two axemen as to who could first fell a tree. The world's first woodchopping championship was held in 1891 at Bell's Parade, Latrobe, Tasmania, now the home of The Australian Axemen's Hall of Fame and Timberworks. Though similar lumberjacking competitions take place in the US, we'd never attended one.

How could we have known how many events would be involved in a woodchopping competition? There was chopping, sawing, climbing, felling ... singles, doubles, jack and jills, relays. Handicaps were assigned to contestants in most events. This was serious. We'd watch, then wander off to admire draft horses or check out the goats and pigs, horse jumping or dog's playing flyball, then come back for more woodchopping events.

The most exciting event was the three-board tree felling competition. The axemen ascended a standing pole by making scarfs (notches) in the side of the pole into which they wedged narrow planks to stand on, working their way to the top of the pole. At the top, they chopped a wood block half way through, then scampered down, removing the planks as they descended. They started the whole process again on the other side of the pole to complete the chop through of the block at the top. We were exhausted watching the energy expended during this competition that lasted only a few minutes.

We watched as blue ribbons were presented to the best-fleeced alpacas, the cutest cows, the most handsome roosters, the tastiest cakes, the best contribution by a senior citizen (??), the highest jump by a dog … there was absolutely no lack of high end entertainment. A country-western band crooned throughout the day...hopefully they had not given up their day jobs. One display was entitled “Old Bits and Pieces”. We couldn't tell if “old bits and pieces” referred to the old men sitting around or the various old machines that chugged away next to them.

There was a midway in small town carnival fashion offering huge plush toys in exchange for beaucoup bucks and the opportunity to test your skills. We could hear the screams from the kids getting whipped around in the more adventuresome amusement rides. All sorts of food was offered. Tornado potatoes, spirals of deep fried potatoes on a stick, were popular. More Tasmanian offerings like salmon burgers and Valhalla ice cream had waiting lines. Kids were sticky with fairy floss (cotton candy) and cranky with fatigue and too much sugar by day's end.

The show lasted only one day and was breaking down by 5pm. The finale included a “ute muster” (lots of pick-up trucks on display...wow!) and a Grand Parade in which horses, cows, alpacas, pigs, sheep, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers and basically anything capable of moving in line, participated. There were even wood chippers and wooden boats on trailers for this grand event.

All in all, a fine way to end my annual celebration. Wonder where we'll be next year at this time?

For more pix, check out www.justalittlefurther.com
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo