Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

The Franken-Mattress

26 November 2012 | Kettering, Tas
Marcie
We bought a new mattress today. We've had our current foam mattress since we bought the boat nearly 13 years ago, but I imagine what we've been sleeping on is the original one – 26 years old. It's
lumpy and thin with permanent indentations from our bodies. The mattress industry calls this sag and fatigue and they're right on. After waking up most mornings with backaches and lame, sore body parts, we decided to take the plunge. It was time to invest in some sleeptime comfort.

Do you remember Nine of Cups Rule #1? Nothing's ever easy on a boat. So... you can't just walk into a mattress store, choose one and you're sleeping comfy that night. No, no, no … it could never be that easy. The berth is basically a queen-size, but it's not rectangular in shape. The odd shape contours to the hull and best utilizes the available space, but makes it a bit more difficult when trying to replace the mattress. There are odd angles and chamfers to deal with.

First off, we can never make an investment such as this one without David spending a month to research it. I research where we're going and our itineraries; David researches pretty much everything we buy. He's an engineer. He collects and analyzes every detail, every option, every price. He does time and cost projections and then, and only then, does he make a presentation to the first mate with his analysis and conclusion. It's hard to question such logic and comprehensiveness.

He concluded that we had two options. The first was to buy a custom-made mattress. He contacted two Australian companies who do this. They would, at great cost and shipping expense, create a custom mattress for us. They could not actually guarantee it would fit and our sole recourse if it wasn't right was to “send it back and we'll make the necessary modifications.” Add to that the fact we weren't sure we could bend it enough to get it through the companionway plus the time factor involved and this was a no-go option.

The second option...locate a reputable mattress store in Hobart, visit them and find a mattress we liked, buy it and modify it to fit our berth. After significant research, David determined that either a “pocket spring” mattress or foam would be our best bet or perhaps a combination of the two. It looked as if we could modify either one ourselves with a “modicum” of effort. David and I define “modicum” differently.

I might add here that David is fearless when it comes to tackling any project. Whether it's replacing a half ton engine while at the dock in Opua, removing the teak and resurfacing the decks in South America or making pretzels from scratch ... he's the man. This is an admirable trait which I love and sometimes hate. It meshes well with our philosophies of frugality and self-reliance. It doesn't always play well with convenience nor my tendency towards laziness.

We borrowed the marina courtesy van one day and spent the entire day looking at, laying on and testing mattresses in and around greater Hobart. Not my idea of a fun day. Do we like soft, firm or extra firm? How do we know? We've been sleeping on a foam mattress with sag for the past decade. We finally settled on a Hamptons Contour from Sleepy's across the Tasman Bridge in Cambridge. Wayne and Sandra are the owners. They're knowledgeable and helpful. We ended up ordering the pocket spring mattress, extra foam and a heavy-duty mattress cover. Sleepy's mattresses are locally made in Launceston, Tasmania and it would be available in about a week.

To be continued

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo