Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Franken-Mattress Part 2

27 November 2012 | The Duckpond, Bruny Island, TAS
Marcie
Part 2
It was a beautiful, warm, sunny morning with a forecast for more sun. I was wearing a t-shirt for the first time this season. We borrowed the marina courtesy van again and went to pick up the new mattress By the time we loaded the mattress into the van, it was raining in torrents and the temp had dropped nearly 20 degrees. Then came severe thunderstorms, heavy hail and tornado warnings. Tornado warnings, in Tasmania? This is not a usual occurrence here and it even surprised the locals.

Between heavy rain, light rain and wind gusts, we managed to unload the mattress, wrestle it down the dock, heave it up over the lifelines onto the boat and wrap and lash it in a heavy tarp and plastic under the bimini. We knew in advance there was no way the new mattress at 54” width would scrunch up enough to fit through the 32” companionway. It had to be modified on the dock … when it wasn't raining.

Another presumably sunny day and we were up before daylight. David spent a couple of hours making a pattern for the mattress modifications while it was still dark. As soon as dawn broke and it appeared we'd have sun, we laid out a tarp on the dock and wrestled the mattress out from under the bimini and onto the tarp. Now the surgical procedure began and Doctor David was up to the challenge. We just bought an expensive, beautiful mattress and now we were ripping it apart. Hmm.

The dissection began. First, we removed the bamboo fabric pillow top from the mattress. We used seam rippers to break the stitches, but it was slow going. This sucker was really put together well. People walking down the dock were curious and asked questions. The weather toyed with us...first sunny, then overcast. Every once in awhile we'd feel a few sprinkles. We couldn't work any faster, so we just said a few prayers, kept our noses to the grindstone and continued at our task. Once the pillow top was detached, we put it down below on the boat … out of the way and the weather.

The pocket coil springs are encased in individual polyester fabric “pockets” corralled by two steel rod border wires that run around the circumference of the package and keep everything in place. David removed about 400 metal clips which kept the rods in place and then snipped the rods with the our heavy duty bolt cutter with the intent of re-bending them and re-using them on the modified mattress.
He then began the tedious chore of removing individual pocket springs to adapt the mattress to our particular berth area. Straightening, then re-bending the steel rods was a lengthy, frustrating process. We used hundreds of cable ties to keep the rods in place. Adding the 3” foam sections on all sides of the mattress as an edge guard was like working on a jigsaw puzzle, requiring patience and time.

Lest you were thinking that the first mate was sitting idle while David was freeing springs, I began the modification of the queen-size mattress cover we purchased with the bed. This is not the usual cover you buy to protect your mattress, but rather a heavy-duty zippered outer mattress cover that replaces the usual ticking. The mattress company uses it on some of its models, but not the one we bought. They were, however, willing to sell us one separately and my intent was to modify it to fit the new mattress.

First came the chore of removing the zipper, all 280 linear inches of it. It unzips all the way around making it easy to get access or enclose the springs and foam inside, but making it a bear to sew. I used David's paper pattern to trace and then cut the bottom. The top waited until we had the mattress finished and in place. There were too many angles and chamfered corners where the mattress conformed to the hull and we wanted to get it right the first time around.

Working down below has its advantages when it comes to weather. It is very disadvantageous, however, when trying to maneuver and turn over large objects in place, not to mention working around and tripping over the old mattress, disassembled new mattress, sewing machine, tools, extension cords, fabric and foam that had taken over every flat surface and floor area on the boat. We placed the foam and pillow top back over the springs, glued them and the foam in place and began measuring the cover which would conceal all the surgery and hopefully be a presentable-looking and comfortable mattress once again.

We were both all scrunched up in the aft berth area stretching, pinning, measuring, marking. It was quite the process. The sewing machine was all set up and rearing to go. I'd sew, then do a fitting. Sew, then do a fitting. The odd-angled corners were a challenge, but grappling with the mattress to get the cover on, then off again during the fitting process ended up being the hardest part of the whole procedure. At last, a final fit, some double stitching and it was done. It looked great!

The final test...a night's sleep on this Franken-mattress. Oh my, it was comfy as we snuggled in, and the “modicum” of effort was soon forgotten. We woke rested ... with a slight hangover from the glue fumes. The comfort will stay; the fumes will go. Life is good.

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo