Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Sydney-Hobart Race 2012

30 December 2012 | Hobart, TAS
Marcie
Hobart's pleasant, laid-back waterfront morphed into a high energy, frenetic port right before our eyes in preparation for welcoming the participants of the Sydney-Hobart Race and the concurrent Tasmania Taste Festival. Booths and marquees (tents) lined the wharf. Barricades were set up. Streets were closed off. Colorful flags and banners fluttered in the stiff breeze. Port-a-loos were trucked in. All that remained was the arrival of the race boats.

Last year on Boxing Day, we were on a friend's boat bouncing around on the choppy waters near the Sydney Heads with hundreds of other boats, waiting for the start of the Sydney-Hobart Race. We watched as the two lead boats, Investec Loyal and Wild Oats, sprung off the starting line and seemed to fly by the sea marker to make their turn south to Hobart. It was thrilling to watch and we found it even more exciting since three of the men aboard our yacht including the skipper had participated in 10+ races in past years and provided lots of color commentary.

This very prestigious race began in 1945 as a proposed “cruise” by folks who preferred cruising to racing. The 630 nm route is now considered one of three top offshore sailing races in the world. Though it's held during the Australian summer, the weather is still unpredictable and the ride across the Bass Strait can be most challenging. In 1998, a hurricane-force storm claimed five boats and six lives. The record currently for the fastest elapsed time is held by Wild Oats XI who made it in 42 hours, 40 minutes and 10 seconds. That's an average of about 15 knots/hour.

There were 77 boats competing in this year's race and as I write this several boats have still not arrived. The Line Honours Winner this year was Wild Oats XI which won Line Honours in six previous Sydney-Hobart races. This year's win was considered a treble: 1)They broke the record for the fastest time ever, covering the 630 nm course in 1 day, 18 hours, 23 minutes and 12 seconds (the previous record was set by them in 2005); they won Line Honours (first over the line) and the Handicap Honours (overall race). Pretty fast sailors!

We decided to take the dinghy into Hobart town from our anchorage in Cornelian Bay, a few miles up the Derwent. We hadn't used our new Yamaha outboard since it arrived and because it was new, it had a careful “breaking in” regimen to follow. Why not break it in en route to town? We arrived just in time to watch Bengal 7 cross the line. The wharves were thronged with people. As we dinghied into the inner harbor where we'd berthed just a few days ago, we watched the Ambersail crew settle into their berth and start celebrating. The crew looked tired, but exhilarated.

We tied up the dinghy midst the fishing fleet and headed over to see the race boats up close. Precision, high-tech everything; not an extra ounce of comfort aboard. These boats are meant to sail … fast. Definitely not cruise … slowly.

Peter Luke, one of the skippers in the first race, died in 2007. He still holds the record for the slowest elapsed time in the race aboard Wayfarer. Obviously, our kind of guy. We think, however, we should have some claim to that title since we watched the boats leave from Sydney last year and didn't arrive in Hobart until December of this year.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo