Sailing with Nine of Cups

Vessel Name: Nine of Cups
Vessel Make/Model: Liberty 458
Hailing Port: Denver, Colorado, USA
Crew: Marcie & David
About: We've lived aboard Nine of Cups since 2000 and have managed to accumulate 86,000+ nm under the keel since that time. We completed a circumnavigation in April 2015 and managed to sail around the five great southern capes. Come along with us for the ride!
Extra:
Visit our website at www.nineofcups.com for more photos and info about Nine of Cups and her crew. We also have a more extensive blogsite at www.justalittlefurther.com. Are some of our links broken? Links break from time to time. Please let us know which ones are broken and we'll fix them. You [...]
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA
07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA
06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA
01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia
30 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
29 June 2016 | Chesapeake, VA
28 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
27 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
26 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
25 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
24 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
23 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
22 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
21 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
20 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
19 June 2016 | Charleston, South Carolina, USA
18 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
17 June 2016 | Intracoastal Waterway from St Augustine to Norfolk
Recent Blog Posts
05 January 2017 | Chesapeake, VA

Happy 2017!

Happy New Year, Everyone!

07 July 2016 | Us: East Walpole, MA / Cups: Chesapeake, VA

Taking a breather ...

Since we'll be off the boat during July and August, we plan to post only three times per week. The Captain will continue writing a practical Blue View post each week, we'll keep you up to date on what's happening with us and then throw in some cruising nuggets as well.

06 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Keeping fit

We’ve written before about keeping fit on the boat. David is so much better at a regimented exercise program than I am. I have all the best intentions, but I can always think of something better to do than sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts and running in place. It doesn’t take much to distract me. Walking, [...]

04 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Happy 240th Birthday, America

Growing up in New England, I took for granted just how lovely a summer’s morning can be in Massachusetts. It’s comfortably cool and everything smells clean and fresh. Spider webs glisten with morning dew and it’s just great to be alive and breathe in the new day. Being back at Lin’s house conjures up wonderful childhood memories of summer mornings past. And this is not just any morning … it’s the 4th of July, the best holiday of the summertime in the USA.

02 July 2016 | East Walpole, MA

Leaving Cups and a Road Trip

Leaving Nine of Cups is never easy. We know she’ll pout while we’re gone and so we do our best to make sure she’s as comfortable as possible before we leave. We were whirling dervishes trying to get everything ready.

01 July 2016 | Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hunting & Gathering - Virginia Beach

We had lots to do before leaving Cups. David was intent on getting as many chores done in advance of our departure as possible so that once we return in September, we can spend time sailing in the Chesapeake rather than doing repairs and maintenance. Much of what we needed in the way of parts and supplies, [...]

Blowing Down the Channel

07 January 2013 | Cygnet, TAS
Marcie
We left the wind tunnel, known as Cornelian Bay, a few days ago. With a forecast of N/NW winds for the area, we thought we'd have a great sail down the Channel. It was blowing 25kts as we raised the anchor and sailed under the Tasman Bridge. By the time we passed the Hobart waterfront and headed towards the Channel, the wind had calmed to a variable 5-10 knots. We motored on.

The wind came in spurts...5 knots, 15 knots, 5 knots, 20 knots. The jib was out and caught the wind when it came and flogged when it didn't, but the day was gloriously sunny and dry and it was good to be sailing. We dropped the hook in Oyster Cove (Kettering) and dinghied in to say goodbye to a couple of people, take hot showers, get rid of some trash and do a load of laundry. We came back to Cups lighter in trash, cleaner in body and with a dive bag full of wet clothes to hang out to dry.

We had intended to spend the night in Kettering, but it was still early in the day and the sun doesn't set here till nearly 10pm now, so we decided to continue on to Cygnet. Things started going awry at that point. The washdown hose had been leaking and got more water on me than on the deck or the chain. It was on the "to-do" list for repair. As David removed the snubber from the anchor chain, he lost his balance when a big gust of wind knocked him back. He slipped and managed to shear off the entire washdown faucet fitting from the deck, leaving a hole in its place. This also prevented us from adequately cleaning all the thick, slimy, brown mud off the chain as we brought it up. Buckets of water and a brush didn't do the trick like a high power spray and we had a muddy mess on the foredeck.

The N/NW wind had freshened and we were doing 8 knots with only the foresail as we headed down the Channel. It was glorious until the wind shifted and increased and we turned off the Channel for the remaining couple of miles into Cygnet. 20 knots was fine and we progressed slowly. Then 30 and 35 knots and the fetch increased. Short, square waves that had green water coming over the bow (and probably finding its way into that little hole where the faucet should be), the boat lurching and the crew feeling uneasy. The wind increased to 40 knots as we rounded Huon Island. The wind shot down the Huon River like a bullet, blowing the tops off the waves, pelting our faces with salt spray. I know, I know...we should have just gone with the wind and found another anchorage across the Channel somewhere. But we reasoned, we were so close...it couldn't take that much longer.

Wrong...it took another two hours before we finally clawed our way around Cygnet Point and into the bay. The wind was still blowing, but there was less fetch and once in the lee of the hills, even the wind subsided to a comfortable 25 knots. One last blast of 55 knots caught us as we passed a notch in the hills and then we were in calm waters.

We anchored and breathed a sigh of relief. Below decks was bedlam. Cushions everywhere, baskets upturned. Anything not lashed down was on the sole. Before we even finished tidying up, a fellow dinghied over to inform us we had anchored on the starting line for the local boat races. Who knew? There's a little sign ashore, not very visible from the anchorage. We left that detail for another day. Instead, we put up the clothesline and hung out the wet clothes...even though it was sprinkling. Then a glass of wine and some relaxation before any thought was given to the faucet repair, the thick layer of salt crystallized all over everything, the mud on the deck, the water and mud in the chain locker .... and oh yeah, the forward head pump which stopped worked en route.

Such is life ... on a boat, in Tasmania, in the Roaring 40's.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
LONG WHITE CLOUD
Leu Cat
Carinthia
SANGARIS
Migaloo
Asylum
Tiger Lilly
Thorfinn
Hello World
Halekai
Tender Spirit
Valiam
Talacam
MACCABEE
Annecam
HooRoo
Echo Echo